nice stereo of doli

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

BugEZ

nice stereo of doli

Post by BugEZ »

Here is a nice stereo of a doli with lovely stripes on the ommatidia.

I used my 10 X oly on my 200mm Pentax prime, Pentax K-01 mirrorless, LED lighting.

I collect ~ 15 images per minute on my rig. So the stacks of ~150 images require about 10 minutes each. After turning the RAW files into JPG's I run them through Zerene, and create a left, right and center image for stereo.
Each processed stack is a combination of PMAX and DMAP. I went after some dirt on the sensor with Photoshop. Processing is the bottleneck as I spend about an hour per stereo image. I pass my stereo images through StereoPhotoMaker to let it do its magic and apply borders.

Still, the tiny bug (~ 2.5mm in length) is lovely and worth the effort.

full size on Fllickr here...

stereo 2a by Keith Short, on Flickr

Keith

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Keith,

Great stereo image, it just "jumps" out at you :D

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Mawyatt wrote
..just sort of jumps out at you!
Yes, a good stereo image is a source of joy.

Years ago I made these the hard way by rotating the bug by a few degrees between stacks. Then I discovered how to make “synthetic” stereos using Zerene. Much easier and better results with Zerene.

The males Sympycnus lineatus are only around in my bushes for a few weeks early in the summer then disappear. The females live a bit longer. They have larger mouth parts and a bit of face between the eyes. Females are around most of the summer.

A female here

ImageCDCD1E00-4D1B-4B8E-BD6F-0F35314E498E by Keith Short, on Flickr

K

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wonderful pictures, Keith.

I'm hoping you can refresh my memory. What's a quick review of what's known (and not known!) about these unique eyes?

--Rik

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Rik asks
...what’s known and unknown about these unique eyes?
1. The color we see comes from a layered interference filter on the surface of each ommatidium. This has been imaged on sectioned eyes using electron microscopes in the ‘60s. The spacing between layers tunes the filter, changing the color.

2. Each ommatidium retina has 8 rhabdomes (light sensor’s)arranged in a grid pattern. Looking in from the cornea you can see 7. Rh8 is stacked below Rh7. And Rh7 and Rh8 are in the center position of the array. Rh7 and Rh8 are the color sensing cells, Rh1-6 are light/motion sensing, but not color. There are several types of sensor found in the color positions, each sensitive to a different spectral frequency range, blue, green and UV. The different Rh7-8 sensors scattered at different ommatidium in the compound eye provide color vision. This was studied in the 70’s through early 2000’s.

3. The eyes of lab fruit flies have less spectacular contrast between ommatidium filter colors and the colors are arranged stochastically (random). The color of the cornea filter is matched to the sensor type of the underlying Rh7-8 color sensor cells. Studied in early 2000’s. We humans also have stochastic patterning in our color vision cells.

4. The color sensing cells in doli are matched to the corneal filter. This was determined at NYU around 2013. In striped eye doli where the corneal array has ‘errors’ in the stripe pattern, the sensor cell array has matching errors.

5. Some doli genera have stochastic eye patterns, not all are striped.

6. Some doli genera have quasi-striped eyes. Stripes with so many errors that they nearly look stochastic. In Hawaii Chrysosoma globiferum (accidental from Taiwan) and Condylostylus longicornus (accidental from California) one with striped eyes and one with quasi striped eyes both frolic on the same landscaping and apparently flourish.

7. Some doli have the sensor stripes with little patterning observable in light photos. Tachytrechus vorax, a doli that inhabits sandy beaches near the Great Lakes in the US has no visible stripes but striped sensor cells. A related fly T. angustipennis has weakly visible stripes and striped patterning of the color sensors.

8. The striped eye Dolis inhabit a wide range of ecological nitches. I have watched adults feed along shallow puddles catching tiny worms and larvae. Others hang out on green leaves (like the hosta in my yard) eating aphids and springtails and catching small midges on the wing. They are visual hunters, and acrobatic flyers. They often have elaborate courtship with wing waving and flight displays. They hunt during the day. Some are most active in morning and evening, others during the mid day. They thrive in the tropics and in colder climates like I have in northern Illinois.

The advantage of striped patterning is not clear, but the filters no doubt tune the eyes to provide the contrast needed find mates and meals.

Hope this helps!

Keith
Aloha

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Perfect -- thanks!

--Rik

sunitapr

Stereo Image

Post by sunitapr »

What a great stereo image. Those perfect unique eyes inspired me a lot to learn more of this field.

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

sunitapr wrote:
These perfect unique eyes inspire me to learn more of this field

Glad to be of help on the inspirational side. There certainly is more to learn!

Keith.
Aloha

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic