On very low light photography: Nikon vs Canon DSLRs

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

On very low light photography: Nikon vs Canon DSLRs

Post by rjlittlefield »

I'm not sure how relevant it is to other people, but I ran across an interesting comparison of Nikon versus Canon DSLRs for very low light photography.

This is an issue of intense interest to the astronomy community, and might crop up in micro/macro work with multi-second exposures. I paid attention because I often use longer exposures as a way of working around shutter vibration at high magnifications.

The primary reference is to a Yahoo/PanoToolsNG posting here. It links to a mixed English/French article at astrosurf.com, here.

From the linked article:
Conclusion
The behaviour of Nikon DSLR are radically different from the Canon ones for long exposure:

- For Nikon, the hot pixels are eliminated by a sophisticated digital processing external to the sensor. During this digital processing, the signal of the neighboring pixels is also affected. The damage of such processing is well-known in astronomy: the weak stars are also eliminated and the image loose photometric qualities on stellar like objects.
- For Canon, the thermal signal is reduced for each pixel by a differential reading method. The thermal signal level measured at the output of the sensor is very low. The residual can efficiently be removed during the image processing (a simple substraction of a reference dark signal map).

It is tragic to see that Nikon solved the problem of thermal signal by a digital processing of the RAW files (i.e. NEF files do not contain true raw data). This processing can surely meet the daytime users and the high performance for main application is evident. But by repeating the same mistake made on the D70 and the D200 (equipped with a CCD) on the news Digital SLR Nikon probably divorces once more with the astronomical community.

Today the Canon and Pentax cameras seem to be the only ones useable digital SLR for efficient and advanced astronomy.
--Rik

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Rik,

That's a serious comparison and highlights some obviously essential aspects.

It doesn't appear to be a brand comparison; but more so a sensor and digital processing comparison. The digital filtering and the "obvious artificial structure" of the D3 'RAW??' is an eye-opener.

I'm a novice so I can't contribute on a technical level but it will be interesting to see how this thread develops. I'm anticipating an education.

Thanks for the info.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

canon is by far, much more common and prefered in astrophotography, then nikon, they both lack dearly in Hydrogen-alpha sensitivity for astrophotography however, and are much more potoential - over 10x with the bypass UV/IR filter removed and replaced with a astronomical grade UV/IR filter. this increases the sensitivity a great deal, for astrophotography.

they perform differently and most people are inclined to say that canon performs better for astrophotography then nikon, but i wouldnt say its an enormous difference.

then again i believe they would perform completely differently for regular long exposure photography then they would for deep sky photography.

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

augusthouse wrote:Rik,

That's a serious comparison and highlights some obviously essential aspects.

It doesn't appear to be a brand comparison; but more so a sensor and digital processing comparison. The digital filtering and the "obvious artificial structure" of the D3 'RAW??' is an eye-opener.

I'm a novice so I can't contribute on a technical level but it will be interesting to see how this thread develops. I'm anticipating an education.

Thanks for the info.

Craig
i have seen alot about this, and its been mentioned with most nikon digital slrs for a long time, this is another reason why people tended to sway toward canon for astrophotography.

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

Isn't this why Canon made that special version of the 20D, called the 20Da for Astronomy photography? Let's see, where did I put that link...Ahh, here we go:

http://canon.ca/english/index-products. ... r=1&arch=1

and for some samples, see...
http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/20 ... Light.html
Carl B. Constantine

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

yeah thats true carl, but strangly enouth its still not as sensitive compared to one of these.

http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/canon/index.htm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic