Jaws of Death

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Picosvistas

Jaws of Death

Post by Picosvistas »

The predatory larvae of an antlion (Myrmeleontidae). Handheld natural light stack 33 images. Asturias. Northern Spain.

Thank you for looking

Frank

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Frank,

Great shot!!! We have those here in Florida, they create little cone shaped traps in the loose sand by "flicking" the sand out, and ants can't climb out if they fall in.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Troels

Post by Troels »

Very nice.
They are obviously difficult to shoot because they are always burrowed in the sand with only the jaws visible, if anything.
This must have been digged out. Does it play dead since you were able to do a bracketing sequence?
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

Picosvistas

Post by Picosvistas »

Troels wrote:Very nice.
They are obviously difficult to shoot because they are always burrowed in the sand with only the jaws visible, if anything.
This must have been digged out. Does it play dead since you were able to do a bracketing sequence?
We have several living along a wall by the side of the house. This one was carefully removed from its sand trap on to the gravel at the side. They do sit pretty still after a couple of attempts to burrow back down. I took 9 sets, on 8 of them the thing moved but on the 9th I got lucky and only the antennae had any movement.

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Stunning! Do they have eyes?

Picosvistas

Post by Picosvistas »

SteveB wrote:Stunning! Do they have eyes?
Not noticeable.

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

Really nice work, especially using natural light as the light source -kinda stunned you were able to get a sharp image. My only .02 is that when you do a stack don't forget to check out the foreground and if there's something between the camera and the subject you get it in focus as well. My eye gets drawn right to the out of focus area at the bottom of the frame.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic