new mineral pictures

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

soldevilla

new mineral pictures

Post by soldevilla »

This weekend I was able to take some photos of minerals. I still try to define what is the reason that worsens my photos when I use x20 or more amplification.

I am really pleased with the results that I get with the x4 and with the x10 (despite being the x4 is an unmarked Chinese brand). But when I work with less than 2mm FOV the definition degrades a lot, and unfortunately many of the samples that I offer to photograph are very small.

Geopressure

Post by Geopressure »

Hi Soldevilla,

Nice clear images and good color..You didn't identify the minerals so I will guess Calcite, Cinnabar, and Pyromorphite?

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

Fluorite, sphalerite and yes, piromorphite. All samples from Euskadi, Spain.

Larry45

degraded sharpness

Post by Larry45 »

Hi Soldevilla,

Your photography embodies my vision for my photomachrography. Wonderfull work.

I, too, have trouble with the 20x objective. Someone suggested that I switch from constant light to flash and I got a marked improvement. I set my flash at manual 1/16. The person said that this setup produces a very quick, 1/5000, light which freezes all movement.

Maybe, one day, I will be able to share my work with you.

Regards,
Larry

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

Thanks fot your comments.

I used continuous light, then a flash light, I modified some flashes to be able to use a light that can help to see the highlights and shadows and in the end I have used my old IKEA LEDs again. I start my StackShot and I leave the room ...

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

They are all excellent, but I especially like the third, and I'll bet they all would be very nice in stereo.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic