DSLRs with full electronic shutter?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cube-tube

DSLRs with full electronic shutter?

Post by cube-tube »

I am nearing the rated shutter life of my Canon 6D, and am starting to think about a replacement.

Are there any DSLRs other than the Pentax K1 that have a full electronic shutter mode? It seems wasteful to me to use a mechanical shutter for macro work when most DSLRs are rated for <200,000 shots.

Also, is anybody else frustrated that there is no full electronic shutter on the newly released Canon EOS RP? It seems intentionally crippled in that way. Hoping that a firmware update will correct that.

Any other advice on maximizing a camera's lifespan is also appreciated.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Panasonic S1 and S1R. I had thought that the Sony A7rii and ii, and Nikon Z cameras, also have electronic shutters but I don't know for sure.

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

The fujifilm X-T have full electronic shutter, best
Ramón Dolz

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Somy A7 III for sure, have been using it to shoot tens of thousands images, total silent :D

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Earlier topic here: https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=38880

I made a list some time ago but cannot find it anymore :(
- Rane

billjanes1

Re: DSLRs with full electronic shutter?

Post by billjanes1 »

cube-tube wrote:I am nearing the rated shutter life of my Canon 6D, and am starting to think about a replacement.

Are there any DSLRs other than the Pentax K1 that have a full electronic shutter mode? It seems wasteful to me to use a mechanical shutter for macro work when most DSLRs are rated for <200,000 shots.

Also, is anybody else frustrated that there is no full electronic shutter on the newly released Canon EOS RP? It seems intentionally crippled in that way. Hoping that a firmware update will correct that.

Any other advice on maximizing a camera's lifespan is also appreciated.
The Nikon D850 also has a full electronic shutter which can be used in their focus shift (focus stacking) mode without using live view. Unfortunately, it does not work with electronic flash. Although the mechanical shutter is not used with the full electronic mode, the shutter count is incremented and this could affect the resale value of the camera.

Bill

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

As Bill indicated the Nikon D850 and mirrorless Z7 (probably Z6 also) have fully electronic shutter curtains. The flash problem (apparently with all fully electronic shutter cameras) has been solved with a delayed flash/strobe trigger that is initiated from the controller camera trigger.

The new Nikon Z mount is very wide and close to the sensor (larger width and shorter sensor to flange distance of any full frame DSLR available today) which may prove useful. Working on a S&S setup based upon the Z7 now, D850 already incorporated and it works great in fully electronic shutter mode which allows ~1 second image intervals assuming rail/motor movement vibrations are well controlled (that problem just solved with advanced motor control algorithms and electronics).

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

I made a quick list, not full but hope it's correct.

Fujifilm X-Pro2, X-T20, X-T2,
Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark I & II, E-M5 II, PEN-F,
Sony A6300, A6500, A7RII, A7RIII, A7III, A9?,
Nikon D850, Z7,
Pentax K-1 I & II,
- Rane

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

rolsen wrote:I made a quick list, not full but hope it's correct.

Nikon D850, Z7,
Pentax K-1 I & II,
Quick note that all the Sony cameras except the A9 drop from 14-bits per pixel output to 12-bit when fully electronic shutter is selected. Electronic first curtain (EFCS) is 14-bit for all.

Having said that, 12-bit is fine when you're in full control of the lighting and don't need to do any major histogram stretching in post. Even then, the difference between 12-bit and 14-bit is marginal for all but the most extreme adjustments. All my studio macros (stacks) are shot with A7rii in full electronic shutter mode.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

rolsen wrote:I made a quick list, not full but hope it's correct.

Nikon D850, Z7,
Pentax K-1 I & II,
Think Nikon Z6 fits also.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Olympus E-M1 mk1's electronic shutter seems to lower resolution and/or increase noise. In direct comparison that I did, my E-M10 mk2 's full electronic shutter produced better image quality.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The flash problem (apparently with all fully electronic shutter cameras) has been solved with a delayed flash/strobe trigger that is initiated from the controller camera trigger.
Olympus' implementation of the electronic shutter does allow flash.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Lou Jost wrote:Panasonic S1 and S1R. I had thought that the Sony A7rii and ii, and Nikon Z cameras, also have electronic shutters but I don't know for sure.
Sony A 7R II has full electronic shutter (as well as electronic first curtain). No flash triggering with full electronic shutter.
http://savazzi.net/photography/sony_a7rii.html

Sony A 7 II has only electronic first curtain.
http://savazzi.net/photography/sony_a7i ... ctrum.html
--ES

cube-tube

Post by cube-tube »

I am surprised by the electronic shutter on the D850. Wonder why none of Canon's flagship DSLRs have that feature.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic