I did not know these would be interesting

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

I did not know these would be interesting

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I am posting this here because the picture was taken in a staged setting indoors.
The common brown marmorated stink bug (Halomorpha halys) is an invasive species in the U.S. and they are generally not liked because they can gather in significant numbers, and they tend to show up in houses during the winter. The adults are definitely unremarkable, and one could see them as rather boring.
Stink bug nymphs change their appearance as they grow, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the nymphs of these insects pass through a stage where they are rather striking, as shown here.

ImageBrown marmorated stink bug nymph by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

The combination of spines, gold studs, and white + pink markings suggests a fusion between punk rock and glam rock. At least it brings that idea to my mind. In any case, I will definitely be looking for these little bugs during the coming summer.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

nymphs are more generally regarded as divine spirits who animate or maintain Nature for the environments where they live, and are usually depicted as beautiful, young graceful maidens.
And for sure I will never look the same at punk rockers :D
--- felix filicis ---

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

t's very "KISS" like...
yes, the nymphs are quite different from the adults.. we have here loads of Nezara viridula who are boring plain green, and the nymphs have red, black, white patterns...
Very good and clear shot.
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

These nymphs also have a younger red and black stage, but they gradually change their appearance. Based on the many pictures of this species in BugGuide it seems that they take maybe two molts to look like this, then two more molts to the adult.
I expect the earlier red and black stage is for warning coloration. I don't know what they are trying to 'say' at this stage.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Sippyjug

Stunning Image

Post by Sippyjug »

Very well done :!:

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

=D> Very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Do you still using the 50mm reversed on a pixco helicoid?
( I have that helicoid but gave me lots of troubles with light leaking, before I realized what the problem was...)

I love the clarity of your most recent pictures (but of course the good lighting plays a huge role too...)
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic