adapter for Carl Zeiss Jena phototube setup

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

PeterArmitage

adapter for Carl Zeiss Jena phototube setup

Post by PeterArmitage »

I am trying to properly identify and acquire a dovetail adapter to be inserted between a Carl Zeiss Jena phototube and a Canon 40 mm pancake lens. A German microscope contact provided the appended photo without pertinent information. The dovetail adapter in this photo is attached to an Andoer 52 mm UV filter. The adapter may be custom??? Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can acquire this adapter? Image

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Peter, welcome to the forum!

The pictured adapter doesn't seem custom made, but likely will be hard to find.

Rafael at Rafcamera https://www.rafcamera.com/ sells and also makes himself this kind of dovetail adapters.
He is a reliable and helpful guy.

Be sure of the measurements before ordering it.
Pau

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Peter,

The Zeiss Jena dovetail was and is widely used. It's possible to get a work-around relatively easily as these adapters are available from multiple sources (Zeiss Jena, Lomo, Ihagee, Baader).

The only critical issue is the distance from the contact face of the dovetail to the accessory you want to attach.

Could you please provide more detail about your camera adaptation?

Regards, Ichty

PeterArmitage

Post by PeterArmitage »

Thank you very much Pau and Ichty for your rapid responses.

In consultation with Rene Prill, from the German Mikro-Forum, I determined that I need the following components for the microphotography setup. It is my understanding that Rene uses this configuration himself with a Carl Zeiss Jena microscope.

1. Zeiss Jena phototube. M50 thread on one side and a ring dovetail on the other side. RECENTLY PURCHASED ON EBAY. BEING SHIPPED. I do not yet know the dimensions of this phototube.

2. Zeiss Jena eyepiece or a projection lens. PROJECTION LENS RECENTLY PURCHASED ON EBAY. BEING SHIPPED.

****3. Dovetail adapter. SOURCE NOT YET IDENTIFIED.

4. Andoer UV 52mm filter. NOT YET ACQUIRED, BUT AVAILABLE ON AMAZON.

5. Canon 40 mm pancake lens. NOT YET ACQUIRED, BUT AVAILABLE ON AMAZON OR VIA LOCAL CAMERA STORE
https://www.henrys.com/71159-CANON-EF-4 ... UUQAvD_BwE

6. Canon Rebel EOS T2i digital camera. I OWN THIS.

I am using the above with a Carl Zeiss Jena Ergaval compound microscope that I purchased recently in an antique store and restored to proper working order.

Best wishes. Peter

PeterArmitage

Post by PeterArmitage »

I may be mistaken here, but it is my understanding that the dovetail adapter + Andoer 52 mm UV filter + Canon 40 mm pancake lens would take the place of parts 2-8 in the appended photo. This photo is from a post by a Carsten Wieczorrek on the Mikro-Forum.

I assume that the projection lens inserts almost completely into the phototube. Is this correct?

Peter

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Peter,
The combination of an eyepiece and a 40mm lens just over it for APSC camera is the right setup for afocal photomicrography (*) if you use a 10X visual type eyepiece.

Zeiss Jena made lots of different projective eyepieces. I'm not expert in Jena equipment but if they are meant to project directly on film like the Nikon and Olympus photoeyepieces what you need is a 1.6X photoeyepiece (if it even exists) with the adequate extension tubes and no camera lens like in your numbered posted image
If they are meant to project the image on a distant screen very likely they would be convenient for afocal. In this case you also can use other combos like 8X eyepiece and 50mm lens or 6.3X eyepiece and 60mm lens (an old Micro Nikkor 60mm and a Nikon to Canon adapter will do)

(*) Take a look at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=99265 , also at the second page
Pau

PeterArmitage

Post by PeterArmitage »

Hi again Pau. I am planning on using a 10x type eyepiece with this setup. I figure I'll wait for the Zeiss Jena phototube & projection lens to arrive, purchase the 40 mm pancake lens and 52 mm UV filter, and finally and hopefully the dovetail adapter. It seems there may be some trial and error in this... Thanks very much for your advice.

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Why do you need UV filter exactly?

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the images.

Pau already mentioned that there are several different options available from Zeiss Jena.

A) Projectives ("Projektiv MF K") which project directly onto the sensor (distance of 150 mm)

B) Afocal setup using a compensating high eyepoint eyepiece ("K" or "PK" for most but not all objectives)

C) Projection eyepieces (they are rare)

So we'd need to know

1) which 10x eyepiece did you buy for the camera setup?

2) will it fit into the Zeiss Jena phototube?

3) which microscope objectives are you going to use?

This is to clear up the optics required.

The dovetail adapter is available from the Baader T-2 Quick Changing System
https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/b ... t-07).html
(link is broken; copy and paste the link into your browser)
and many more local Astronomy shops will sell it (I'm sure you can get it in Canada or the US). I've tested it and am using it myself on a Zeiss Jenamed 2 microscope - it is definitely identical with the Zeiss Jena microscope dovetail.

Even cheaper options are possible if you're interested.

Regards, Ichty

PeterArmitage

Post by PeterArmitage »

Hi Ichty,

Thanks for your response. Here’s answers to your questions:

1) which 10x eyepiece did you buy for the camera setup?

I purchased this projection lens (it should arrive in the mail in January)
Carl Zeiss Jena Microscope MF Projektiv 4:1 23mm Eyepiece Okular Mikroskop

2) will it fit into the Zeiss Jena phototube?
The vendor says it fits into the Zeiss Jena phototube.

3) which microscope objectives are you going to use?

I currently have objectives for phase contrast (see appended photo). However, I am in the process of acquiring a set of planachromate objectives as well. See specs from Ergaval manual appended.

PeterArmitage

Post by PeterArmitage »

Hi JohnyM.

Thanks for your message. "Why do you need UV filter exactly?"

I assume this filter functions only as an adapter between the dovetail adapter and the 40 mm pancake lens.

Best, Peter

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I think that the pictured "UV filter" is just an empty ring used as spacer to avoid the eyepiece touching the lens like in my last pictured setup.
Pau

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Cheaper and better would be a step down / up ring then.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

For afocal the following eyepiece with a (inexpensive and easy to source) 50mm prime lens will be very adequate

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARL-ZEISS-JEN ... rk:13:pf:0
Pau

PeterArmitage

Post by PeterArmitage »

JohnyM. What do you mean exactly? It must physically connect/attach the pancake lens to the phototube. Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic