Lee diffusers?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Lee diffusers?

Post by Pau »

In my seldom high magnification macro work I diffuse the light with ping pong balls or paper but both alter the color temperature towards red, not very convenient with the already low temperature of Jansjo LEDs and of my partially burned fiber optic guide.

I want a material good to make cylinders and cones with good diffusion properties, not altering much the color and no eating so much light as polystyrene cups.
A good option seems Lee diffusion sheets, but I have no idea of what kind of them could be convenient for macro.

Could you give me advice?
Pau

jojm

Post by jojm »

I use the "129 Heavy Frost" reference of LEE Filters for quite a long time now.
These sheets are enough strong to make them easy to transform in what forms you want: cones, cylinders, panels...

Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi there,
I´ve just tested the LeeLux #400, works great and they are neutral to color temp I think.
But then again, I set custom white balance with an grey card.

I made an post about it here:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=38097

But no response
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

Smokedaddy

Re: Lee diffusers?

Post by Smokedaddy »

Pau wrote:Could you give me advice?
Advice sure. <g> YOU and just about everyone else here has a lot more experience than I do with lighting but I just bought this to experiment with.

-JW:

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

I use a variety of Lee filters, primarily as cylinders on my Mitutoyo and Olympus objectives. I often combine them with an inner layer of 214 Tough Spun to further cut interior reflections, or selectively mask them with black cardstock. Like Harald, I have found them to be very color neutral, but I still do a custom white balance on anything important.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Thanks you very much for your info, I was pretty lost with the variety of Lee specifications.
I will order some gels, likely the 400 and maybe another one.
Pau

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Lee does offer a free sampler, it's amazing how many types they offer.

cmagno

Post by cmagno »

Hi,
dmillard wrote:I use a variety of Lee filters, primarily as cylinders on my Mitutoyo and Olympus objectives. I often combine them with an inner layer of 214 Tough Spun to further cut interior reflections, or selectively mask them with black cardstock. Like Harald, I have found them to be very color neutral, but I still do a custom white balance on anything important.
On the LEE website the demonstrations seem to suggest that the sheets are very thin and therefore difficult to build a stable cylinder. Is the thickness of the sheet an option when buying the product?

Thanks in advance,
Carlos Magno

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

cmagno wrote:
On the LEE website the demonstrations seem to suggest that the sheets are very thin and therefore difficult to build a stable cylinder. Is the thickness of the sheet an option when buying the product?

Thanks in advance,
Carlos Magno
Hello Carlos,

These filters bend easily as flat sheets, but form very rigid cylinders, especially at the sizes at which I use them. The Leelux 400 is especially robust, but even the thinner filters work well when they have been rolled into tubes and secured with adhesive tape. On the Mitutoyo objectives, the cylinders are only a little over 32mm in diameter, and approximately 44mm long, with about half of that length slid over the barrel of the objective. On the Olympus objectives, the cylinders are only about 26mm in diameter. Additionally, they are not subjected to any stresses that would deform them. I use the same ones repeatedly with no issue.
I'll post an image of one of the cylinders on an objective tomorrow morning, to show it more clearly.

Best regards,
David

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Let me second the custom white balance. I always use one for Jansjos, regardless of the presence or type of diffusion.

cmagno

Post by cmagno »

dmillard wrote: I'll post an image of one of the cylinders on an objective tomorrow morning, to show it more clearly.
I would be grateful. Thank you.

Carlos Magno

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Hello Carlos,

I just took a couple of quick pictures showing cylinders of Lee filter material on a Mitutoyo and an Olympus objective. I think you can see that they are in little danger of deformation. I like to write on them with an extra fine point Sharpie marker so I don't have to waste time rummaging through them. Please let me know if you have any questions - send me a PM if you like.

Best regards,
David

And I have a question for anyone who may know - how can images be displayed side by side to economize on space?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

dmillard wrote:I have a question for anyone who may know - how can images be displayed side by side to economize on space?
Just separate the image tags with a space instead of newlines, for example

Code: Select all

&#91;img&#93;http&#58;//www.photomacrography.net/forum/userpix/159_OlLee_1.jpg&#91;/img&#93; &#91;img&#93;http&#58;//www.photomacrography.net/forum/userpix/159_MitLee_1.jpg&#91;/img&#93;
Then either the images will be displayed either side-by-side, if the browser window width is large enough to do that, or the images will be displayed one above the other if not.

Like this... (Adjust your browser width to see the effect.)

Image Image

--Rik

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Thanks for the clarification Rik!

cmagno

Post by cmagno »

Hi David,
dmillard wrote: Please let me know if you have any questions - send me a PM if you like.
I have no further questions. The images detail the solution in a very clear way.
Many thanks again.

Best regards,
Carlos Magno

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic