From Namibia

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harald

From Namibia

Post by Harald »

Hi there,
Here is a project I´ve been working on.
This is Boltwoodite from Namibia.
FOV about 6mm, 500 images with 15µm step. Mitu M Plan APO 5x on EOS 7D

Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

hero

Post by hero »

What a coincidence--very recently, I acquired a sample of this species and did a few stacks ranging from 3x to 5x. But I don't have a Mitutoyo, just the MP-E.

Here's my photo, 121 images on full frame sensor. Stacked with Zerene.

And here is a 100% crop of the same image.

The clear crystals are calcite, I believe, but there are numerous acicular dark brown crystals interpenetrating the calcite whose identity is unknown to me. Locality is the Goanikontes claim, Erongo, Namibia--most likely the same as yours.

Have you tried viewing the specimen under UV illumination? The fluorescence is quite striking.

Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi there hero,
Thanks for your comments and the images. The world is not that big as you know :wink:
Not tried with UV light. Long or short wave?
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV

hero

Post by hero »

Indeed! To know that there are others who have the same interests, who understand the challenges and rewards of macrophotography, is always refreshing.

I believe your specimen also shows inclusions in the clear crystals--it would be good to find out what they might be.

I used 365 nm UV illumination. Shorter is better, with less visible light contamination from the source. Here's what mine looked like under UV, but to me it doesn't quite capture the strength of the fluorescence. I suspect yours will fluoresce more brightly.

If you have more mineral specimens, I suggest you look at them all under UV illumination, because there were several species in my collection that I did not expect to fluoresce, but ended up doing so, usually because there is another species present (very commonly calcite, sometimes fluorite, chalcedony, hyalite opal, and occasionally some I cannot identify).

Harald

Post by Harald »

Just great hero.
I have a great interest in micro minerals.
In my local geo club, people are coming to me and ask if I can photograph for them. If I can get anything out of it. And I allways reply "Can you see it?". If the say yes, theres no problem.

Keep those micro coming :D
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic