Down the rabbit hole! -- Ammonite Tragophylloceras

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cactusdave

Down the rabbit hole! -- Ammonite Tragophylloceras

Post by Cactusdave »

Looks like the door at the end is firmly closed, but do you know who owned this desirable residence? I don't want to give details like magnification or field size at this stage, as it would be a pretty big clue. To me it seems ridiculously easy, but then I know the answer :lol: I'm sure someone here will get it in about a millisecond though.

Last edited by Cactusdave on Thu May 03, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

An Ammonoidea "ammonites" fossil...not a millisecond...just one second :D

The stereo view is really good!
Pau

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Thanks Pau. You are spot on! I knew someone would recognise this straight away. It was difficult to find an ammonite small enough for this approach. I'll add some more pictures later.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Yes this is a small pyritised polished fossil ammonite from the Jurassic coast in the UK, identified by the eBay vendor as Tragophylloceras. The entire specimen is 15mm wide and the field width in the stereo image is 3mm. The image was taken with a Leitz Plan X2.5 objective and is a Zerene DMap stack of 67 images. Diffused oblique incident illumination from two LED gooseneck fibre optic lights.

This is what the entire fossil looks like:

Another view of the fascinating sutures. Same objective and field width as above. Stack of 45 images with Helicon method B.

This is the stereo version from a Zerene PMax stack of the same set of 45 images.

JH

Post by JH »

I like the photos, interesting subject! I do not have a pyritised ammonite - are they brittle?

Best regards
Jörgen Hellberg
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Thanks. The vendor told me that some pyritised ammonites are brittle but her cleaning/polishing process tends to eliminate those. My specimen does not appear to be at all brittle. Almost all the ammonite specimens from this very rich location are pyritised.

GrayPlayer

Post by GrayPlayer »

I have come to the conclusion its not so much about making small things big as big things smaller. When I started my feeble attempts cranked the bellows out looking for the proverbial hair on a gnats......well you get the idea. Exploring everyday objects might not win me any plaudits but will be less stressful.
Fred H.

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:D First pic in stereo is very good.
Thanks for sharing.

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Super!

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Thanks very much for your nice comments.
David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic