Nikon Microphot. DIC Sénarmont

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

fpelectronica

Nikon Microphot. DIC Sénarmont

Post by fpelectronica »

I recently purchased a Nikon Microphot microscope equipped with Sénarmont DIC. This system is different from the PZO that it used.
I have done some tests. I appreciate comments, advice and criticisms that help me use it correctly. Thank you
Francisco
P.S.
Both the photographs and the videos are unedited or retouched

Video:
https://youtu.be/6LWn7b7syd8

Video:
https://youtu.be/p52jXIsj6CA

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Nikon Microphot. DIC Sénarmont

Post by rjlittlefield »

fpelectronica wrote:Both the photographs and the videos are unedited or retouched
I am confused. The still images posted inline are only 227 × 173 pixels, including the black bevel border. Are the images really that small and bordered coming out of the camera?

--Rik

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Francisco,

Looks OK. There will be differences depending on the type of objectives you use. Do you use immersion for the condenser (assuming it is NA 1.35 or 1.4)?

Have you tried playing around with the contrast levels (rotating the polariser) or do you always work at maximum contrast level?

Regards, Ichty

fpelectronica

Re: Nikon Microphot. DIC Sénarmont

Post by fpelectronica »

rjlittlefield wrote:
fpelectronica wrote:Both the photographs and the videos are unedited or retouched
I am confused. The still images posted inline are only 227 × 173 pixels, including the black bevel border. Are the images really that small and bordered coming out of the camera?

--Rik
The photographs have been resized to be published in the forum because it only supports 150K (I think)

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:Hi Francisco,

Looks OK. There will be differences depending on the type of objectives you use. Do you use immersion for the condenser (assuming it is NA 1.35 or 1.4)?

Have you tried playing around with the contrast levels (rotating the polariser) or do you always work at maximum contrast level?

Regards, Ichty
Thanks for your answer.
The condenser is from NA 1.4. I have used the objective Nikon Plan Apo20X.
I used the rotation of the polarizer to obtain different contrast. With crossed polarizers the image is very dark (almost dark field).
I'm trying to make a compensator to try to achieve DIC colors.
With this system the turning of the polarized only gives me "gray scale", not colors. In the PZO system, the displacement of the prism gives me colors.
Regards
Francisco

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

As far as image size is concerned you can post much larger photos on the forum than your two samples.
First, make sure that your image dimensions are 1024 pixels or smaller, on both axes, AND that the image file length is 300 KB or smaller. Use your favorite photo editor to resize the image and set the JPEG compression quality as needed to meet those two rules.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=10#10

As far is DIC is concerned your DIC looks good, especially in the first video. I can't remember the exact implementation of DIC on the Microphot, but on the Diaphot DIC implementation, there is a lever on the condenser which switches in or out a red/magenta compensator plate. With this inserted, rotation of the Nomarski prism adjustment produces all the colour spectrum of 'colour DIC'. Inserting a retarder after the DIC polariser and before the specimen and objective should have the same effect. Layers of Sellotape and various plastic and cellophane sheets all make good retarders for this application as they do in ordinary polarised illumination. I have used this method to get 'colour DIC' with the Zeiss DIC implementation which lacks a built in lambda/compensator plate
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

If color is all you looking for, just push in/out a little bit the top DIC prism OR turn condenser disc with compnensators a little.

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

JohnyM wrote:If color is all you looking for, just push in/out a little bit the top DIC prism OR turn condenser disc with compnensators a little.
Thank you. Yes, I have tried it and I get "DIC colors" but, in my opinion, there is a notable loss in the definition of the image

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

If you tilt too much, you're obsuring your aperture. Push one of sliders JUST a little bit, then turn De Senramont.

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

JohnyM wrote:If you tilt too much, you're obsuring your aperture. Push one of sliders JUST a little bit, then turn De Senramont.
Ok.
Thanks

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Also could you take a picture of your microphot? I have/had 3 different DIC sets for it, so i could give you some pointers. The one im using mainly is with Universal System condenser and objective dedicated sliders.

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

Cactusdave wrote:As far as image size is concerned you can post much larger photos on the forum than your two samples.
First, make sure that your image dimensions are 1024 pixels or smaller, on both axes, AND that the image file length is 300 KB or smaller. Use your favorite photo editor to resize the image and set the JPEG compression quality as needed to meet those two rules.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=10#10

As far is DIC is concerned your DIC looks good, especially in the first video. I can't remember the exact implementation of DIC on the Microphot, but on the Diaphot DIC implementation, there is a lever on the condenser which switches in or out a red/magenta compensator plate. With this inserted, rotation of the Nomarski prism adjustment produces all the colour spectrum of 'colour DIC'. Inserting a retarder after the DIC polariser and before the specimen and objective should have the same effect. Layers of Sellotape and various plastic and cellophane sheets all make good retarders for this application as they do in ordinary polarised illumination. I have used this method to get 'colour DIC' with the Zeiss DIC implementation which lacks a built in lambda/compensator plate
Thanks for the comment and advice.
regards

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

JohnyM wrote:Also could you take a picture of your microphot? I have/had 3 different DIC sets for it, so i could give you some pointers. The one im using mainly is with Universal System condenser and objective dedicated sliders.
Thank you.
Photographs of the protaobjectives and condenser

ImageImage

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Modified EPI FL-3?

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

JohnyM wrote:Modified EPI FL-3?
Not modified It is the original

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic