AMI Wafer

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

AMI Wafer

Post by Smokedaddy »

Experimenting with my modded MM-11.

-JW:
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Saul

Post by Saul »

:shock:
Splendid !
Saul
μ-stuff

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

James,

Awesome images :D

Wonderful detail and the B&W really looks great :smt038

Best,

Mike
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Very nice :D

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks, it was interesting. I updated a few images.

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Cool, now let's see you soldering some of those transistors :P

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

GaryB wrote:Cool, now let's see you soldering some of those transistors :P
Gary,

If he tried to solder every lead of a transistor (assuming 3 leads, they actually have 4 if you include the substrate), 1 lead every second, on a newer processor with 10 billion devices it would take 951 years :roll:

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

If he tried to solder every lead of a transistor (assuming 3 leads, they actually have 4 if you include the substrate), 1 lead every second, on a newer processor with 10 billion devices it would take 951 years Rolling Eyes
Pfft, it's not like he's got anything better to do, sitting around taking photos all day. He may need a finer tip on his iron though :D

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... been busy soldering but I did take the time for one more image. This is a 100% crop, Nikon BD Plan APO 100/0.90.

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

very nice indeed!

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Super!

siliconGary

Post by siliconGary »

Nice images! BTW that is not an AMD wafer, your wafer was made by AMI semiconductors. They were bought by ONSemi and they have a wafer fab in Nampa Idaho (Outside of Boise) that is still operational. Which is presumably where yours originally came from (Given the Idaho artwork).

Coincidentally the wafer Fab (Which at one time was known as Aptina) makes colour filter arrays and microlens on image sensors today (And tests them).

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

siliconGary wrote:Nice images! BTW that is not an AMD wafer, your wafer was made by AMI semiconductors. They were bought by ONSemi and they have a wafer fab in Nampa Idaho (Outside of Boise) that is still operational. Which is presumably where yours originally came from (Given the Idaho artwork).

Coincidentally the wafer Fab (Which at one time was known as Aptina) makes colour filter arrays and microlens on image sensors today (And tests them).
Yea the first images I posted were labeled incorrectly and I fixed them. <g> BTW, years ago I worked on the 52ond street Motorola COM1 project here in Phoenix, then ON semiconductor took over. That whole site is a environmental disaster. They (Motorola) contaminated the ground water as far back as the 70's there. Back in the day I've seen them dump 55 gallon barrels of trichloroethylene on the dirt and for years. Leaking liners in pits for years, yada, yada. <duh> Nowadays you can't even dig on that site without protective gear or remove dirt from the site since it's so contaminated. It was a disaster to even work at the old Motorola plant with all the freaking leaks. They had buckets catching the HF leaks. It took them YEARS to get it under control. Of course all of the Motorola plants are history here now and there were several. ST Microelectronics was another terrible place to work as far as safety goes (port of entry restrictions applied) and a engineering nightmare as far as the piping/tubing design for the tools goes. Then there's Freescale Semiconductor, Great Western Silicon and the list goes on and I've worked at all of them. I've spent a few decades working at semiconductor and pharmaceutical plants all over the world. Then you fast forward to today and the safety restrictions are overwhelming and directly have an effect on productively (as far as new construction and tool hookup go). It's a crazy but interesting world we live in. Wish I were 18 again so I would be able to see what's in the future.

-JW:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic