A better method to get live insects to hold still

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

So mainly this option is for quick stacking methods. Not for studio stacking where lot of photos has to be taken? Or the insect will be knocked out completely if exposed for long in the gas chamber?
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Keep in mind that there are some very fast stacking methods, especially methods that refocus camera lenses rather than moving a rail. 150 shots per minute are normal, and thousands per minute would be possible if there were a big enough buffer to store the files and a fast enough transfer speed to the place they are written. This works easily at up to 1x (or 2x with front or back converter) and higher m can be obtained by stacking or reversing lenses. Fast shallow high-m stacks can be done this way with microscope objectives on autofocus tube lenses.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Lou Jost wrote:Keep in mind that there are some very fast stacking methods, especially methods that refocus camera lenses rather than moving a rail. 150 shots per minute are normal, and thousands per minute would be possible if there were a big enough buffer to store the files and a fast enough transfer speed to the place they are written. This works easily at up to 1x (or 2x with front or back converter) and higher m can be obtained by stacking or reversing lenses. Fast shallow high-m stacks can be done this way with microscope objectives on autofocus tube lenses.
This is true, even for amateurs.

I use DSLR Controller for stacking when I'm using my Tokina 100mm macro. When I was using flash, I had to add a delay between the exposures for fear that I'd cook my good Sigma flash.

I never tried to stack a live subject, but I'm confident that using the Alka Seltzer method, I could (with continuous lighting) get a useful stack before the subject became too active.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I made a fast 150 image stack of a live frog-mimic spider a few weeks ago, and I will post it on a new thread.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Here is the spider using fast in-camera stack generation:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 924#215924

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

anvancy wrote:So mainly this option is for quick stacking methods. Not for studio stacking where lot of photos has to be taken? Or the insect will be knocked out completely if exposed for long in the gas chamber?
I suspect this is not suitable for stacking, but for taking single pictures. By holding still, I don't mean they are motionless. The bugs I have done this to still move around. But they are not running or flying.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

lothman

Post by lothman »

may be another source for CO2 are those small dust blaster guns feed by CO2 Cartridges availabele in the supermarket

https://www.amazon.com/Dust-Removing-gr ... B017C8BOX4

I use them for cleaning my camera and lenses. I will try them on insects - thanks for that hint.

GrayPlayer

Post by GrayPlayer »

Rubbermaid makes containers with a separate "tray" inside that should work for this.
Fred H.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic