Help to start!

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ria Deblaere

Help to start!

Post by Ria Deblaere »

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, my name is Ria Deblaere and I am interested in micro photography for using in Arts. (only studio)

My current gear is a D500 Nikon (also D810, but I know already that the APS-C sensor is a benefit for macro, because of all the set ups I tried in the past with Macro objectives 105mm, extension tubes, reversed 28 mm, ...)

But I want to go further, so here are my questions:

I want to buy a Mitutoyo 5X and 10X, can I use my 70-200 mm Nikkor (at 200mm) or is a real 200 mm tube Lens Nikon better?

Second I don't know what kind of adapter rings will be needed between the Mitutoyo and the Nikon tube 200 mm , and between the tube and the camera (D500-D810) or the 70-200mm in the setting?

Where do you buy all those things? (objectives, adapter rings, tube lenses)
Any other recommendations or tips for me?

Thanks a lot for your answers!!!

Purpuricenus

Post by Purpuricenus »

I think that you sould post your requests in "Beginners macro" .
ALthough, I think that it's fine to use as a tube lens your 70-200 at 200mm, you should obtain a 10x, in addition the crop factor 1,5 of Nikon aps-c camera that resultus in an additional virtual magnification of 1,5x.
What's past is prologue

billjanes1

Re: Help to start!

Post by billjanes1 »

Ria Deblaere wrote:Hello Everyone,
I want to buy a Mitutoyo 5X and 10X, can I use my 70-200 mm Nikkor (at 200mm) or is a real 200 mm tube Lens Nikon better?
I bought a used Nikon 100 mm f/4 that is in excellent condition (newer model with the all black lens barrel) for less than US $100 on ebay. It takes a 52 mm filter.
Second I don't know what kind of adapter rings will be needed between the Mitutoyo and the Nikon tube 200 mm , and between the tube and the camera (D500-D810) or the 70-200mm in the setting?

Where do you buy all those things? (objectives, adapter rings, tube lenses)
Any other recommendations or tips for me?
RAF Camera has a good selection of adapters for the Mitutoyo to tube lens. If you use a Nikon tube lens, it can attach directly to the camera without any adapter. You don't say what country you are in, but Edmund Optics in the USA carries the Mitutoyo line. Used ones are on e-bay, but be sure that you can return the lens if it has problems. Since you are a beginner, if you run into problems you might not know if they are arising from the Mitutoyo or other elements in your setup.

Good luck,

Bill

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I've just lost a longer answer - grrr!

Ria, welcome :)

Yes try the zoom at 200mm. You'll need to get from 77mm, so may find you need to use a step ring to get to say 62mm , before an adapter to a Mitutoyo objective.
There are many good Chinese Ebay sellers.
ALthough, I think that it's fine to use as a tube lens your 70-200 at 200mm, you should obtain a 10x, in addition the crop factor 1,5 of Nikon aps-c camera that resultus in an additional virtual magnification of 1,5x.
That's wrong, really.
Magnification M in macro photo context refers to the M on sensor.
Use a 200mm "tube" lens for to get the M whjich is on the objective.
The sensor size makes no difference, except to field of view.

If you try to cover more than about APS you will sooner or later find you lose the corners, to vignetting or aberrations or both.
Chris R

sushidelic

Post by sushidelic »

My 2 cents to the sensor size debate:

I have a Mitu 10x and 5x, and both, even with a APO Gerogon 150 as Tube lens, fill an FX sensor just nicely. So I wouldn't put the D810 aside if you plan to change to Mitutoyos!

Best regards,
Michael
Edit: Typo as always

Ria Deblaere

Post by Ria Deblaere »

Thanks for the answers! I found an adapter ring 26mm-77mm (for on the 70/200mm Nikkor) (Raf camera)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic