Adapting Nikon AM 120mm Macro lens to Sony A7R2

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nikonf

Adapting Nikon AM 120mm Macro lens to Sony A7R2

Post by nikonf »

I would like to know if any of you experts knows a method to adapt this large format macro lens for use with the Sony A7R2?
I have a Nikon PB-6 bellows and I thought I might be able to adapt the Nikon F mount of the bellows to a Sony E mount?
Could this also be accomplished with extension tubes and lens mount adapters?
The lens is very sharp and a true APO, designed for 1:1 and greater magnification.

I a new to this and therefore, please excuse my ignorance.

Best,
Mike

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Hi Mike, welcome aboard!

Sure, it can be adapted, just search at ebay or other online shops for Nikon to Sony adapter.
Is your lens already adapted to F mount?. If no, likely the simpler and less expensive approach will be to mount it reversed (because it's a symmetrical desing this doesn't matter) and buy an inexpensive 52mm to Nikon F "reversing ring"
What's the focusing distance of that lens? from its FL it will be pretty long so will be adequate to mesure it at 1:1 to determine the extension between camera and lens mount you need.
Bellows are more flexibe to change magnification while extension tubes are more compact, both give the same result as the air inside is the same :D, but already having the bellows go ahead with it.
Pau

nikonf

Post by nikonf »

Hi Pau,

Thank you very much!

There is a wealth of information on this site.

The only difficulty I have is the fact that the lens is mounted in a Copal 0 shutter and not a bayonet mount.

It looks like I will require more adapters.

Here are the specs:

Model Nikkor-AM ED 120mm f5.6s
Focal Length 120mm
Maximum Aperture Ratio 1 : 5.6
Minimum Aperture f/45
Lens Construction 8 elements in 4 groups
Covering Power (f/5.6) 47 degrees
Covering Power (f/22) 55 degrees
Image Circle (f/5.6) 210mm
Image Circle (f/22) 250mm (5" x 7")
Shutter No.0 (Copal)
Shutter speed 1 - 1/500sec., T,B
Sync socket X-contact
Front mount size (A) 54mm
Attachment size (B) 52mm x 0.75mm
Rear mount size (C) 42mm
Flange attachment size (D) 32.5mm x 0.5mm
Flange focal distance (E) 115.9mm
Overall length (F) 64mm
Weight 295g

Thank you very much,
Mike

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Is your lens an F mount (bayonet) or does it have a Leica (39mm) screw thread mount, on it.
If the latter you will need a Leica to Nikon adaptation in order to mount it onto the PB-6 bellows.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RafCamera-M39x1 ... Swl9BWLM7e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M39-Screw ... SwcwhVMLZs
The Nikon F to Sony E mount is very easy to get on ebay and other camera markets.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... a&_sacat=0

Edit: Oh, you really do mean a real, large format lens! I was confused and thinking that you had the 120mm lens from the ancient and venerable MultiPhot outfit (which did have a 4x5 camera option). iirc the two longer lenses the 65mm and 120mm macro lenses were Leica threaded.

http://www.nikonland.eu/forum/index.php ... iphot-r186

The only way you will mount the AM120 is to use a large format camera and have a film plate made on which you can mount the Sony. You can buy a decent quality E mount adapter and mount it solidly to a plate to fit your view camera. There were numerous adaptations like this that allowed 35mm cameras to adapt to various 4x5 sheet film cameras.

I never was able to put my hands on one at a price that I was willing to pay but I do know that SOMEWHERE in my collection of ancient wonders I have a similar item for "828 film" which was 35mm film without the sproket perforations. I think it went to the Polaroid MP3 outfit. I intended to find a 35mm back to fit but it never happened. :lol:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... large.html

Above is exactly what you need for $200. Your lens is too large both in diameter and in front and rear dimensions, and needs far too much extension to work on a 35mm bellows.

I do have a Linhof/Leitz long extention 4x5 bellows camera from a Leitz Aristophot I would sell very inexpensively.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-LInhof-Ar ... XQC-tTCPsy

like this one. With its rail but no stand. Mine comes without a lens. I want a small fraction of what the above guy is hallucinating.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

nikonf wrote:The only difficulty I have is the fact that the lens is mounted in a Copal 0 shutter and not a bayonet mount.
Attachment size (B) 52mm x 0.75mm
This is why I suggested to mount it reversed, 52mm 0.75 is a most usual filter thread and you can find reversing adapters to mount it on your Nikon bellows, for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/52mm-Macro-Reve ... Sw4SlV8pGL
Pau

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

This is why I suggested to mount it reversed, 52mm 0.75 is a most usual filter thread and you can find reversing adapters to mount it on your Nikon bellows, for example:
It is a lot of trouble to go to and you still won't have enougn extension with a 35mm size bellows. Although I have seen pictures where people have stacked several in a row.

The above auction is a cheap copy (with extremely outrageous and overpriced shipping from Hong Kong ) of the Nikon lens reversing adapter BR-2. It would be better to get one of those because they are made of chrome plated brass rather than Alunimum.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... 2&_sacat=0

The lens might not need to be reversed. It may be a symmetric design.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Yes, the main issue could be the long extension needed, Mike must measure or calculate it.

Of course the original Nikon reverse adapter is nicer, but an aluminium chinese one will do the job. (and ebay says FREE shipping to Spain, so $1.38 seems inexpensive, I never understand how they do it), now I see that the Nikon is pretty affordable.
Pau

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Mike,

Here are the pertinent numbers and some suggestions.

Copal "0" mounting hole = 34.6mm

120mm AM, diameter of rear lens component = 42mm

120mm Nikon AM, flange focal distance = 115.9 (from back of shutter to sensor for infinity focus)

Sony A7R2 flange focal distance = 18mm

QUESTION: Does the rear component of this lens have "filter threads"?... (some LF lenses do, many do not). If it does, than it could be pretty easy to mount using those threads, although I would prefer the "conventional" mounting via the Copal "0" shutter. (But as far as LF lenses go it is pretty small so if it had threads it should be easy and inexpensive... unless they are some odd-ball proprietary size!) I believe 42mm is not a thread size, but the actual physical diameter of the rear lens component.

First thing... putting the Sony body on the PB-6 bellows. Quick and easy. A Nikon F-mount to Sony-E camera adapter is very cheap and available. You don't need anything fancy with electrical contacts and such. You can get them for less than $10 on eBay.

Next... mount the lens to the front of the bellows. The diameter of the rear lens component is 42mm. This is likely too large insert into the front of the PB-6 but double check check anyway (let me know if it does, but I doubt it. (If it did, a metal body cap, used as a "lens board" drilled out to 34.6mm would allow you to mount the lens).

Since I doubt it will fit, a good alternative would be using a set of inexpensive Chinese extension tubes. (See ebay 182013321424 for an example... $5.88 ).

The cheap Nikon "sets" I have purchased before were 57x0.75 threaded tubes with a male Nikon F on one end and the female Nikon F on the other. I don't know if the tube diameter is different these days (the Canon version were 60mm tubes). These tubes will have an interior diameter large enough to insert the rear lens component of the 120mm AM. This could be done with a flat circular piece of aluminum epoxied to the front of the tube and drilled out to the 34.6mm Copal mounting diameter. You would use the male F-mount that came with the tubes to attach the lens to the bellows. If you want greater magnifications you could add extension tubes.

If they are still 57mm x 0.75 threaded tubes, you can get a piece that could be used as the "lens-board" from Borg/Hutech.

See catalog here:
http://sciencecenter.net/hutech/catalog ... g-2010.pdf

Look at these items as "possibilities" 7401 7402, , 7409 (page 6)
7357 metal cap (page 11)
You would need to have a 34.6mm mounting hole cut (and perhaps some milling if they are too thick). Might actually be easier to get a cheap lens-board on eBay that has an accurate Copal "0" hole, and then cut it down for the tubes.

This catalog may also have other options, I didn't look through it entirely. Their pieces of of very high quality, and while not "pricey", they are not cheap.

Measure the "thickness" of the PB-6 when completely closed, and let us know what it is. With a flange focus distance of 115.9mm you might be even be able to get able to get "infinity" focus.

One operational thought. You've got a lens that's throwing a pretty large image circle into a 35mm bellows. You will likely want to pay some extra attention to internal surface reflections and perhaps lens shades to minimize flare.

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Greetings nikonf,

This is an old thread, and you may have solved the problem by now, but if not, the following method will work to easily mount the lens and shutter inside the PB6 bellows. Loosen the bellows retaining screw to separate the bellows from the front standard. Use a 52mm male to male adapter on the front of the lens to screw it to the interior mount of the front standard.

Cut a 34.6mm opening in the female half of a 52mm filter stack cap. This will be attached to the rear of your lens mount using the flange (like a lensboard), and can be inserted into the front of the bellows and secured using the bellows retaining screw. You may wish to place a narrow ring of black flocking material inside the stack cap to reduce potential reflections onto your sensor.

I have used a similar approach when using Copal 0 mounted lenses as infinity objective tube lenses in the past.

On the other hand, rather than using a PB-6, you may wish to invest in an inexpensive view camera, and make a back to accept the Sony mount. The benefits would be greater bellows draw (allowing the lens to work within its optimal magnification range), the potential use of camera movements, and the ability to stitch without parallax by using rear shift and rise. See, for example, http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic