Ceriodaphnia

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rnabholz

Ceriodaphnia

Post by rnabholz »

All images are stacks of between 12 to 24 images

AO One Ten, 10x, 20x and 40x Plan Achro, Darkfield, and van Egmond masks as well as Brightfield. Afocal using a Nexus 6 phone.

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Nice!!

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Nice

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Very good quality!. Are you hand-holding the phone or do you have one of those "adapters" to hold it over the eyepiece? What are the specifications for the eyepieces you are using (do you get the "circular vignette" on all images) ?

rnabholz

Post by rnabholz »

Thank you Carlos and Jacek.

rnabholz

Post by rnabholz »

Charles Krebs wrote:Very good quality!. Are you hand-holding the phone or do you have one of those "adapters" to hold it over the eyepiece? What are the specifications for the eyepieces you are using (do you get the "circular vignette" on all images) ?
Thank you Charles.

I am fairly new at this so i hope I can provide the relevant information.

I do use a mount to hold the phone.

The eyepieces are American Optical Catalog #180 - they are 10x Wide Field and high eyepoint type.

The image presented with the phone mounted at the proper spacing to the eyepiece does present a vignetted field. I of course can "zoom" the phone to eliminate the circular mask, but of course that just sacrifices image density, so I tend to shoot full frame and make cropping choices post capture.

Hope this answers your questions, I really appreciate your interest.

Rod

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

Such good photos from such humble equipment! I've taken iPhone photos through the eyepiece, and I rather like the circular vignette. It reminds me of old timey photomicrography when they were trying to illustrate what was seen through the eyepieces. Perhaps a new catagory or thread for cell phone images only? Also since most school kids have phones these days, this is a great way to get more young people involved in science.
I am not young enough to know everything.

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:D Nice set.
Thanks for sharing

piermicro

Post by piermicro »

Bravo.
:smt038 :smt039

_Michal_

Post by _Michal_ »

Great set
Best regards
Michal

rnabholz

Post by rnabholz »

Choronzon wrote:Such good photos from such humble equipment! I've taken iPhone photos through the eyepiece, and I rather like the circular vignette. It reminds me of old timey photomicrography when they were trying to illustrate what was seen through the eyepieces. Perhaps a new catagory or thread for cell phone images only? Also since most school kids have phones these days, this is a great way to get more young people involved in science.
Thank you.

I agree, most people aren't aware that they have a very capable camera for microscopy right in their pocket. Just add a $30 mount and you are in business.

It does make it very accessible and as you say appealing to young people who of course are anatomically connected to their phone.

Thanks again,

Rod
Last edited by rnabholz on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

rnabholz

Post by rnabholz »

Thanks Michal, Sumguy01, and piermicro.

TekaPrzyrodnika

Post by TekaPrzyrodnika »

Monster !! :) excellent technique. Such high resolution and made by phone. Amazing.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Rod has been showing us amazing images, taken from his phone, at microbehunter forum. He is just a little shy here. Let us cheer him up and he will show us a lot more :wink:

Rod's Nexus 6 phone camera, probably similar to most smartphone cameras, has a 35 mm equivalent focal length of around 25-30mm (which is quite wide and would produce circular vignette with afocal microscope eyepiece). Benefit of a smartphone camera is lack of shutter/mirror shake, pocketable 4k video, fast lens and good pixel count. There is even a wireless pocketable LED flash or two for iPhone cameras - soon we should see more such LED flashes for Android cameras.

Rod's work is inspirational for many. He was my inspiration for doing darkfield, for example.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic