How to connect the StackShot to the Canon EOS M3 ?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Adalbert

How to connect the StackShot to the Canon EOS M3 ?

Post by Adalbert »

Hello everybody,
Does anybody know how can you connect the StackShot to the camera if you cannot use any remote release cable?
The camera (EOS M3) can be controlled remotely only by IR, WIFI and USB.
Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Adi

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: How to connect the StackShot to the Canon EOS M3 ?

Post by rjlittlefield »

Adalbert wrote:how can you connect the StackShot to the camera if you cannot use any remote release cable?
The camera (EOS M3) can be controlled remotely only by IR, WIFI and USB.
The simplest method would be to use the IR remote from Cognisys. Of course that also involves some expense and waiting.

If you are using the StackShot control panel in Zerene Stacker, then there is also a free but somewhat clunky workaround using the "robot" capability described at http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/do ... shot/robot. The trick there is to run something like Canon EOS Utility alongside Zerene Stacker, and use the "robot" capability to push the Expose button of Canon EOS Utility to trigger the exposure using the USB connection.

--Rik

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Rik.

I have already seen this IR remote from Cognisys but I was not sure if it works with EOS M3.
https://www.cognisys-inc.com/products/uirr.php

And I haven’t bought any StackShot up to now but I’m going to buy the EOS M3 and I would like to connect it to a macro-rail.

Firstly I would try to assemble a self-made macro-rail.
If it doesn’t work then I will buy the StackShot :-)

My first rail will consist of a lineal-stage and a step-motor NEMA 17 with a planetary gear-box 100:1.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/331392981507?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

The motor should be connected to the micrometer-screw by the shaft coupling. The motor will be controlled by USB via computer.
The next step would be the connection of the camera.

What do you think about that?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Adi

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Adalbert wrote:I have already seen this IR remote from Cognisys but I was not sure if it works with EOS M3.
https://www.cognisys-inc.com/products/uirr.php
I imagine Cognisys could tell you for sure. As far as I know the IR remote is programmable (by Cognisys), so I'd be surprised if it did not support any common camera in a short while after introduction.
Firstly I would try to assemble a self-made macro-rail.
lineal-stage and a step-motor NEMA 17 with a planetary gear-box 100:1.
Other people have successfully done DIY projects like this, so I presume that you'll be able to make it work also.

One issue to think about: maximum speed versus minimum step size. Depending on what rail you use, 100:1 gearing may be too slow, with steps smaller than you need.

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

100:1?
So that is (360/1.8 )*100 = 20000 steps per turn, without microstepping.
If you have a thread with 1mm pitch, it's about 20 times smaller steps than you need..

if the backlash they quote is in the output rotation, it would be nice to NOT have it, perhaps.
Chris R

elf

Post by elf »

I'm using a 45 oz-in NEMA 17 direct drive stepper on my setup with an M6x1 leadscrew. At 8 microsteps, it can reliably do 1 micron steps (+ or - .5 microns). I'm not planning on doing more then 10X magnification, so this is several times more resolution than needed. I'm considering using a NEMA 11 stepper geared down with belts to save some weight.

www.OMC-StepperOnline.com is also where I've purchased several steppers.

I also use IR to trigger the shutter. The setup uses an Arduino microprocessor. The IR library is pretty easy to use.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Rik, hello Chris,
“100:1 gearing may be too slow, with steps smaller than you need”
I would like to try the stacking with the magnification of 20-40x.
For the smaller magnifications I would change the gear-box to 5:1
BR, Adi

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Elf,
How do you control your drive stepper and the camera on your setup?
Do you use any standard solution with the Arduino microprocessor?
What about the software? Would you recommend me anything ?
Thank you in advance.
BR, Adi

elf

Post by elf »

Here's a link to the IR library: http://sebastian.setz.name/arduino/my-l ... r-control/

My current setup is using an Arduino Duemilanove (state of the art 5 years ago :) ) and an Easydriver stepper driver. It's more than capable of running the focus stacking setup, but I have a Teensy 3.2 coming in the mail as well as a Drv8825 stepper driver. The 32 bit Teensy is compatible with Arduino code and the Drv8825 can do 32 microsteps. This should give me the ability to shoot at higher resolutions.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Elf,
Many thanks for the link! This library contains the timings for Canon too!
I have already ordered the ARDUINO NANO V3.0 (with USB) It is from 2009 :-(
What do you think about it?
BR, Adi

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Adi,

This may sound a bit simplistic... but could be worth a try. The RC-6 clones on eBay are very inexpensive. Why not try opening one or two up and seeing if it is easy to "wire" the release switch. The unit could then be placed in an out-of-the-way location and tripped via the wires. The camera would still be IR released, but one less wired connection into the camera could actually make for a tidier setup.

The Cognysis IR unit sells for about $60, and that would work. But this may work as well and be much less expensive.

Magic Lantern offered some possibilities (creatively using an "audio remote" feature) for the first EOS M, but it seems like there is nothing for the M3.

elf

Post by elf »

It uses the Atmega328 which is the same as in my Duemilanove, so it should be adequate.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Charles,
OK, good idea; I will try with RC-6.
The cheapest one costs $1.70 ?
e.g. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... -6&_sop=15
Concerning Magic Lantern I would be afraid, that I could destroy my new camera :-(
BR, Adi

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Elf,
OK, it is good enough for me :-)
Hopefully I can reach the higher resolutions with the help of the gear-box.
BR, Adi

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello everybody,

I have already ordered in China a RC-6 but in the meantime I have tried to assemble a self-made IR-controller.
So, I have connected the IR-LED TSUS5401 and resistance 100 Ohm to the Arduino in the following way:

The sketch looks like that:

Code: Select all

#include <multiCameraIrControl.h>

Canon EOS_6D&#40;5&#41;;               // data 5

void setup&#40;&#41;
&#123;
  pinMode&#40;13, OUTPUT&#41;;         // for test only data 13
&#125;

void loop&#40;&#41;
&#123;
  digitalWrite&#40;13, HIGH&#41;;      // set the test LED to ON
  EOS_6D.shutterNow&#40;&#41;;         // IR signal to the camera
  delay&#40;15000&#41;;                // 15 seconds delay
  digitalWrite&#40;13, LOW&#41;;       // set the test LED to OFF
  delay&#40;5000&#41;;                 // 5 seconds delay
&#125;
The newest version of the library “multiCameraIrControl” has been attached before.

Firstly I have checked my device with a white LED on D5.
Secondly I have set the Camera ( EOS 6D ) to the remote-mode and tested with RC-1.
Then I have changed the white LED to the IR-LED TSUS5401 (common to CQY99).
http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/daten ... _CQY99.pdf

So, I have been changing the frequencies but my device has not worked up to now :-(
Should I change the LED or there is any problem with the frequencies for the CANON EOS 6D?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Adi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic