"60A" marking on Nikon Universal DIC condenser?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ichthyophthirius

"60A" marking on Nikon Universal DIC condenser?

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi guys,

I have a Nikon Universal condenser for phase contrast and DIC
"Universal Con.A Achr-Apl 1.4"
like this one: http://spectraservices2.com/Merchant2/m ... lcondenser

As I understand, these Nikon condensers were intended for use with the 20, 40 and 100 CF(N) Plan DIC objectives. Correspondingly, the condenser positions are labelled 20, 40 and 100.

However, this condenser has a position marked "60A" which appears to have a (large diameter) DIC prism installed. Does anyone know what this means?

Is this Nikon system a classical Nomarski design or a de Sénarmont design? I know very little about this system and can't find much information on the internet.

Finally, does someone have a photo of the Nikon condenser mount for this condenser? I'm wondering if it was possible to adapt it to a different stand, so seeing the original mount would be helpful.

Kind regards,

Ichty

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

60x plan apo
I am not young enough to know everything.

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

By the way, I have t forgotten about the Leitz Aristoplan dic objective tests. Starting this Friday I'm on vacaction at home for a month, so I'll have a lot of time to sort it all out
I am not young enough to know everything.

Ichthyophthirius

Choronzon wrote:60x plan apo
Hi,

Thank you. That's kind of what I was hoping :D

Do you know any references for this Nikon DIC system? There are two Nikon Mikrophot instructions online but nowhere do they explain the interference contrast setup.

Regards,

Ichty

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Ichty,

Do you have the objetive prism slider?

Nikon used classical Normarski design and latter Sénarmont, the mounting dovetail is the same on alll Nikon microscope (Optiphot, Labophot, Microphot (not sure on this), Eclipse serie).

Show us more pictures of the complete condenser.

Rogelio
Last edited by RogelioMoreno on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ichthyophthirius

Hello Rogelio,

Here are two photos of the complete condenser; it has only one slider below, a linear polariser.

I don't have the objective prism yet. I'd like to find out more about this system before I proceed.

Looking at the prisms between two polarisers, I don't see the interference fringes (including colours) that I would see with a Zeiss Inko condenser prism.

Kind regards,

Ichty

Ichthyophthirius

Ichthyophthirius

Hi Rogelio,

I found this in your previous discusson of the DIC in the Nikon Biophot:

"I think that are the objectives DIC prisms, exactly like the one I had on my hands a year ago. I also did the test with crossed polarizer and no colors were observed (like normal DIC prism); the good news is that I am using the current Nikon DIC system (used on 80i and 90i) and that prisms do not show the colors when they are put between crossed polarizer (it is always clear) so I think that your should work."

However, I can't see where there would be space to mount a retarder plate on my condenser. So the wide interference fringes maybe are typical for Nikon and not due to DIC with de Sénarmont design?

Given how many of these condensers are on Ebay, this is not a rare system. There must be user instruction somewhere ...

Regards,

Ichty

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic