Mp-e65 or Bellows?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertoM

Post by RobertoM »

Yesterday I buy the Canon MP-E 65 and the Canon MT-24 EX...
Next time I post some shot...
I want ask some questions...
When I use the Canon 100 macro and a ring flash (economic), I shot only with the Canon 30 D in manual mode.
Now, with the MP-E and the MT-24 is better all in manual mode or in AV mode?
I think AV mode is better for static subject because is the shutter time is less important.
When I shot for example an insect is better all in manual mode?
Thanks in advance.
Roberto

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Congratulations on taking the big jump!

I do most of my MP-E-65 shooting with all-flash lighting, manual shutter speed and aperture, shutter speed set at 1/250th second. Flash gives reflections and glare off of some subject, which isn't good. If you are shooting all-flash, and you have pictures turn out totally black (even though your flash did fire), look and make sure the two small flash heads haven't been bumped to point in the wrong direction. At 5x your subject is so close to the front of the flash that you must point them almost straight down.

For a truly static subject, if you have the MP-E-65 mounted on a steady tripod, you can shoot without flash and use aperture priority, but your exposure times will be very long unless your subject is in very bright light. This avoids the reflections and glare I mentioned.

If you are shooting at high magnification, diffraction will make your images fuzzy if you stop down more than f/11 (and a little fuzzy even at f/11).

Have patience, your first few efforts may not turn out as well as you hope. But you can do this if you will stay with it.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic