Nikon Nikkor Ai-S Micro Nikkor 200mm F4 ***EX*** AIS

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Clintonwake

Nikon Nikkor Ai-S Micro Nikkor 200mm F4 ***EX*** AIS

Post by Clintonwake »

Hi

I use a 70-200mm with my m/objs but my friend has asked me about this lens to use with a m/obj. Has anyone have any experience with this and using it with say a Nikon CF plan 20x or 10x

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-Ai ... 1e9779e647

cheers
Denis

Peter De Smidt

Post by Peter De Smidt »

I use the non-micro 200f/4 AIS lens. It works fine, and it's cheaper than the micro lens. Since the tube lens is focused at infinity, I'm not sure that there'd be any advantage for this application with the micro lens.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Denis, Peter,

I used a Nikon 70-200 VR as a "tube" lens with the Mit objectives. After some reviews here by folks I decided to try the Raynox reversed as the "tube" lens. These are $65 at B&H, and the other adapters only amount to $50 or so. The Raynox was a little sharper than the 70-200 with the Mit, I would assume that the same would be true with the Nikon objective.

There are a bunch of threads here on this subject.

Cheers,

Mike

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Isn't that the older 200mm Micro (always much cheaper of the two they produced) which had a reputation for NOT being so good at infinity?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Yes, the new 200AFMicro is superb at infinity, but the older AIS is not. It has lots of CA and is not a good choice as a tube lens. A regular 200/4, of almost any vintage, works great and is fairly cheap.

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

Thanks everyone for your feedback

Mike (mawyatt), what do you mean by "After some reviews here by folks I decided to try the Raynox reversed as the "tube" lens."

I use raynox250 with my 100mm and 105mm . Do you have a pic of what you mean. I would like to try the raynox with a nikon cf plan and mitutoyo but not sure how this is done with the Raynox.

I have combined 2 raynox 250's on a 105mm with some good results.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE

cheers
Denis

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mike (mawyatt), what do you mean by "After some reviews here by folks I decided to try the Raynox reversed as the "tube" lens."
Do you have a pic of what you mean.
Look here: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 195#143195.

If you're not familiar with our FAQ: How can I hook a microscope objective to my camera?, be sure to read that also.

--Rik

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

Thanks Rik

I have seen your FAQ previously but it was more about the use of the raynox and m/objs as I was not sure it the raynox was used with a tube lens or ext-tubes.

I just ordered the adapters. I have the cone

Thank you very much

cheers
Denis

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yes, without an illustration of the setup the words alone can be confusing.

In what mawyatt wrote, the key bit is that one word: "try the Raynox as the tube lens". In other words, the Raynox plays the role of the tube lens. It takes the output of the objective, which is a virtual image focused at infinity, and refocuses it to form a real image back on the sensor.

--Rik

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

Thanks Rik

Happy New Year to you and members

cheers from Australia
Denis

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic