Post Processing

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Carl_Constantine

Post Processing

Post by Carl_Constantine »

Don't know if people are starting to use this site more now, so I'll post the same question here.

What do most of you do for post processing images? What products do you use and how? Do you capture in RAW or JPEG?

If you capture in RAW, what do youthink about Capture One: http://www.phaseone.com/. I've downloaded the free trial of C1 LE and just wonder what people think of it vs Photoshop's RAW converter (which is pretty powerful -- http://www.radiantvista.com/archive/podcast/10/).
Carl B. Constantine

georgedingwall

Re: Post Processing

Post by georgedingwall »

Hi Carl,
Carl_Constantine wrote:
What do most of you do for post processing images? What products do you use and how? Do you capture in RAW or JPEG?
When using my Nikon D200, I always shoot in RAW. I do carry a compact digital camera with me at all times, Fuji F10, which only shoots in jpeg.

I use Photoshop CS2 for most image processing. I've not tried Capture One so can't comment on it. I have tried Raw Shooter and Nikon Capture 4. I found Raw Shooter difficult to use and not very intuitive. I have only found one thing in Nikon Capture 4 that I find of any use at all, and that is the dust removal feature if you need to remove any dust specs from your images. The RAW processing part of the program leaves me cold. It is slow and I found it difficult to monitor any changes I make in the endless different boxes that the program uses.

I find that, because I use CS2 for most of my work, it is very convenient to use Adobe Camera Raw. Maybe it is just that I am familiar with the plugin, but I find I understand everything I need to, unlike both of the other programs I mentioned above. Perhaps if I didn't have CS2 I would get to know these other programs better.

I also use Helicon Focus 4 for stacking images to increase the apparent depth of field. I find this version of the program the best so far. I also have CombineZ which is a freeware program for stacking, but in general, I found that Helicon is the best in most cases, although CombineZ sometimes does a better job on images that Helicon struggles with.

I suppose to some extent we all settle on what we feel comfortable with. I've been using Photoshop since Version 3. so it would take a lot for me to move to any other application. ACR just seems like an extension to CS2 so it feels easy for me to use it in preference to any other application.

Just my opinion.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk/

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Though I am able to shoot RAW images, I usually just shoot jepg. I use and old version of software, Photo Impact 6. Picked it up from a friend at work for 25 bucks. It suits my needs, it's not complicated and very user friendly. For NR, Neat Image Demo works fine the majority of the time. Stacking... :?: , I have enough stuff to play with as it is. :wink:

Wonder when we're going to get the rest of the smilies moved over here? :roll:

mowse

Post by mowse »

I shoot RAW almost all the time; JPEG very rarely. Photoshop CS2 for all "darkroom" work, including RAW post-processing. Photoshop scripting language and Perl (programming language) for automation & image management.

Calibrate your monitor and printer! Create an ICC profile. It makes a world of difference on so many levels.

-jamie

twebster

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Carl, :smt028

I shoot in RAW and convert the files to .tif using Raw Shooter Essentials. RSE used to be a free download but Adobe bought out Pixmantec, the creator of RSE. I've not used Capture 1 or Photoshop CS. RSE has always given me the results I wanted. Heck, I'm still using Photoshop 7 :!: :D

Mowse gave you some great advice. Get a monitor calibration system, it does make a world of difference, especially if you make prints. I bought the Colorvision Spyder 2 and my prints and posts have never looked better. Without calibrating your monitor you are only guessing as to how the image will actually appear in print and on the Internet. :smt102

Best regards, :D
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

salden

Post by salden »

I shoot RAW always and use Capture One. It is a great program and has many tools to help bring out your image. Photoshop CS2 raw converted is great as well, but I have been using Capture One for so long it is just automatic.
Sue Alden

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic