Lomo 8/0.20 objective

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisRaper

Lomo 8/0.20 objective

Post by ChrisRaper »

Took a gamble on a Lomo 8x 0.20 objective lens the other day - not much of a risk though because it only cost £7 on eBay. Anyway, didn't expect much but have taken my first stack with it and it seems not too bad, for such a cheap lens. WD is about 8mm.

This has had a little Levels & Sharpening done to it and is a bit reduced in size:

The next is a 'life size' image with a little Levels but no sharpening:

I need to have a play with exposure and get the stepping a bit better - this was a rushed job just to check that the lens worked ;)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Looks good from here!

--Rik

Eric F

Post by Eric F »

Chris,

I think you've found a wonderful bargain!

Eric

ChrisRaper

Post by ChrisRaper »

Thanks guys - I will try to do a bit more with it later this week and post some results. It certainly shows some promise so far for a cheapo Russian objective, in an odd configuration. Though I am not sure what the thread is because it seems to jam/cross-thread after half a turn in my RMS/M42 adapter. It still works though - even just jammed into the adapter :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisRaper wrote:It still works though - even just jammed into the adapter :D
Jammed doesn't sound so bad. The first image I ever published from a 10X setup was shot with an objective duct-taped to an adapter that didn't fit the threads at all! The light doesn't care...

--Rik

ChrisRaper

Post by ChrisRaper »

That's what I figured - as long as light doesn't leak in though the thread, which isn't likely as long as some of it has engaged, then it should work just as well. I did another quick stack of the side of a fly. It isn't up to the quality of the experts but it is a good enough start for me ... the bristles vanish and there is some ghosting but it will all look better when I do it properly. The key for me was to show the spiracle in-situ with the surrounding structures.

johan

Post by johan »

I quite independently of this writeup bought this one too, it's not too shabby at all. This was taken with it:

My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

ChrisRaper

Post by ChrisRaper »

Great photo - it's nice to see someone else has had success with this lens too :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic