Ping Pong Ball Diffuser Plan

Here are links to articles for your reading pleasure. You may also submit brief reviews or discuss the contents of the articles.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

kpassaur

Ping Pong Ball Diffuser Plan

Post by kpassaur »

[/img]Image

I have read in numerous places how a Ping Pong Ball makes a good diffuser. I needed a better one for my Nikon 10x Plan with the chrome front. So, I created a diffuser that would slide on and off and block out the chrome on the objective.

I took one of the drink bottles that allow you to squirt water in your mouth. I cut off the white piece as it has about the same angle as the front of the objective. The piece is very thin and it fits nicely on the end of the lens. This piece is glued to the end of piece of ¾” pipe that is about 3/16” of an inch long. This piece is filed down inside at an angle so that it fits on the end of the lens with no gaps. Once created, I used a black permeant marker to blacken it.

The ping pong ball is glued to the end of a ¾” coupling. Before gluing the coupling is filed down at an angle so the ball fits better. The inside is cut out and the pipe piece is slid in.

It took a couple of tries for me to get this far. On one I had to sand down the inter ring inside the coupling so it would completely slide down the objective on the other I didn’t. Next I put 3 small pieces of gaffers tap on top of each other in four piles inside the end of the coupling. Now it will slip on and off and remain centered.

I’m sure someone can improve upon it but it works.

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Why is that shiny tip bothering you in the first place?

kpassaur

Chrome Tip

Post by kpassaur »

I am new at this and I was having trouble with stray light making my images gray. I read numerous posts and I think it was ChrisR who mentioned how he wanted to paint it black on his. Then he showed some electrical tape on his making a shade. I though I should take everything I could into consideration when making the diffuser. So why not black it out. If you don't want to you could leave out that piece.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic