Yunnan & John Horstman's macro

Here are links to articles for your reading pleasure. You may also submit brief reviews or discuss the contents of the articles.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

johan

Yunnan & John Horstman's macro

Post by johan »

Hello,

I wrote a hopefully reasonably substantial article on Yunnan, China ("China's Amazon") and John Horstman's macro. It took a little more work than most of the stuff I do but I think it's an ok read. If you're into insect photography, extraordinary cup moth caterpillars and a bit of discovery about quite an amazing part of the world, it might be of interest to you - article is here.

Thank you

-Johan
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Yunnan & John Horstman's macro

Post by Chris S. »

Johan,

An interesting read indeed. I started it knowing nothing about Yunnan, and ended it wanting to go there.

John Horstman's choice of a very simple photographic setup is notable. Food for thought, for those of us who pack a lot of gear on photo expeditions.

How times have changed: When you wrote "China's Amazon," my first thought was, "What does a Chinese e-commerce Website have to do with macro photography?" But wait a minute--"Amazon" had another meaning before the Web, and still does. On the other hand, the name "Horstman" immediately made me think of large format field cameras.

--Chris

johan

Post by johan »

Thank you Chris! Your reaction of wanting to go there is exactly the same reaction I have had doing the research. Seems an absolutely fascinating place.
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

Thanks for the information Johan.
That is a different World of insects, plants and all other things.
I wish I had a chance to visit there with my camera.
Regards.
Omer

abpho

Post by abpho »

I get a Fatal Error when going to that URL. :smt022
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

johan

Post by johan »

abpho wrote:I get a Fatal Error when going to that URL. :smt022
Odd - fine for me on all browsers. Once you've cleared your cache you should also be able to reach it via the main menu bar under blog, or via http://extreme-macro.co.uk/sitemap.php at the bottom right

abpho

Post by abpho »

It's ever curiouser when it starts working without any intervention on my part.

I love that camo weevil. I want one.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

johan

Post by johan »

abpho wrote:It's ever curiouser when it starts working without any intervention on my part.
Maybe not - apache sometimes crashes and takes a minute or two to come back up. It's pretty rare (as in once per month or so), but maybe you were there just as it was rebooting

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic