2010 publication on Gigapixel macro, micro, and SEM imaging

Here are links to articles for your reading pleasure. You may also submit brief reviews or discuss the contents of the articles.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DQE

2010 publication on Gigapixel macro, micro, and SEM imaging

Post by DQE »

Below is a link to a PDF copy of a publication on the use of Gigapixel imaging for macro, micro and SEM stacks and for x-y panorama stacks.

http://repository.cmu.edu/cgi/viewconte ... =gigapixel

They also discuss a stacked panorama image that used almost 50,000 photographs! Talk about a lot of computer work!!

Jay Longson et al. (2010): Adapting Traditional Macro and Micro Photography for Scientific Gigapixel Imaging. PDF file, Fine International Conference on Gigapixel Imaging for Science.

I found this link at a stacking software link page for paleobotanists, here:

http://www.equisetites.de/palbot/tools/ ... cking.html

Zerene is discussed in this publication, as a part of creating Gigapixel images, but I haven't yet thoroughly reviewed its contents or conclusions yet.

I was mildly shocked by reading (page 10) about a 57,000 photograph panorama stack that they created. They want to shoot 3000 photos per hour, and do mention that this is a bit hard on "civilian" cameras.

------------------------------------------------

As is often the case, I have an uneasy feeling that this subject and possible one or both of the above web pages have already been discussed here but I couldn't find the associated PM threads using my less than adequate searching skills. We have discussed Gigapixel imaging for scientific purposes on other threads but I couldn't find a link to the above publication. If this post is redundant, it should be deleted!
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: 2010 publication on Gigapixel macro, micro, and SEM imag

Post by rjlittlefield »

DQE wrote:If this post is redundant, it should be deleted!
Seems like nothing's ever completely redundant. Better we just link it to another relevant thread.

The work discussed in the article is what eventually became the GIGAmacro imaging system now produced by Four Chambers Studio. A key difference is that the article failed to consider the advantages of telecentric optics, which Gene learned about here at photomacrography.net, and which are now incorporated into the GIGAmacro system.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic