Getting less than 1:1 with an MPE-65

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LordV

Getting less than 1:1 with an MPE-65

Post by LordV »

Just wondering if there is any sensible way perhaps using an add-on wide angle adapter of actually getting less than 1:1 with an MPE-65 and still get good IQ etc ?
Anyone had any success with this ?

Brian v.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

In theory it is possible. In practice, however, there is no real reason to adapt an MPE-65 for work at less than 1x when there are dozens of models of perfectly good macro lenses that already do this.
--ES

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Brian:
Nikon (and I believe Olympus, perhaps Wild) makes 0.5x auxillary lenses for their stereo (dissecting) microscopes. Never used one.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Brian, I'm sure you have some good reason for wanting to do this. What is it?

--Rik

LordV

Post by LordV »

Have to admit- someone asked this on another forum . They are fed up with changing lenses etc out in the wilds for slightly larger bugs and I idly suggested you may be able to add a wide angle converter but just wondered if it was possible and thought the lens experts here might have some idea.
On a 1.6 crop camera the MPE-65 can be a bit of a problem for general bug shooting and as many people have commented they would happily swap it for a high quality lens with the range from around 0.3 :1 to 3:1 magnifcation rather like the old Minolta macro lens. As far as frame filling goes that's not far off what you get with the MPE-65 on a ff camera body.
The answer also needs to be failry cheap as usual :)
Brian v.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

LordV wrote: On a 1.6 crop camera the MPE-65 can be a bit of a problem for general bug shooting and as many people have commented they would happily swap it for a high quality lens with the range from around 0.3 :1 to 3:1 magnifcation rather like the old Minolta macro lens.

The answer also needs to be failry cheap as usual :)
Brian v.
A divergent achromat add-on lens would indeed reduce magnification (but it certainly affects parfocality and introduces aberrations). The main problem with this add-on lens for the MPE-65 is that it needs to be computed specifically for the Canon lens, and this is something that only a company like Canon can do. Alternatively, one could try a large collection of lenses with slightly different curvature radii and find one that performs best, or least bad.

I don't have suggestions for low-cost alternatives (aside for the obvious lens-on-bellows solution, which does what is requested), but there are a number of industrial macro zooms made by Optem, Unitron and other companies that cover this range of magnification. However, they are designed for videocameras with smaller sensors and they should be used with APS-C and FF adapters, of quality unknown.
--ES

gmazza

Post by gmazza »

I find a answer, have done routine testing with the MP-E and found the sony VCL-DH1758 (A Sony adapter to increase zoom in compact cameras) wich has a 58mm ring, when placed in front of MP-E is capable to anchieve this.

Would like the group opinions on image quality (but as I did the ruler photos handheld there are focusing diferences). Usualy I don't use this on field (almost all my shoots, at this time are more closer than 1:1) but this answer the questions and have some interesting findings.

These are some ruler photos with MP-E and sony VCL-DH1758 in front of, in a 1.6 crop camera (canon 500D)

Ruler photo with Canon MP-E 65mm @ 1x and sony VCL-DH1758, on a 1.6 crop camera, with this setup the working distance from lens to subject is 140mm

Original Image

Ruler photo with Canon MP-E 65mm @ 2x and sony VCL-DH1758, on a 1.6 crop camera, with this setup the working distance from lens to subject is 85mm

Original Image

Ruler photo with Canon MP-E 65mm @ 3x and sony VCL-DH1758, on a 1.6 crop camera, with this setup the working distance from lens to subject is 60mm

Original Image

MP-E at 3X and the converter in front of it, is a lot extended :(

Frontal element of the sony VCL-DH175, I tested in natural light condition this give a almost 1 stop gain in light deliverd to MP-E front element, found this using the camera at aperture priority and without the lens for that scene the exposure was 1/50, with the lens in front of it was 1/60, despecting the extra glass the large front element gather light to allow this gain.

I think should be very hard to adapt a frontal flash to this, for flash use the best is a bracket mounted one.

Gustavo Mazzarollo

Portfolio

http://www.gmazza.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic