Polytunnel diffuser

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AndrewC

Polytunnel diffuser

Post by AndrewC »

This "polytunnel" diffuser is what I use for my larger subjects. It is simply a sheet of thick polypropylene (I think) light diffuser panel I got from a local hardware store. Bent into a U-shape and bolted to a block of acetal. I sometimes insert an extra liner of Lee diffuser but to be honest it doesn't make much difference.

I then position my light source outside the tunnel and as normal adjust the light to diffuser distance to get a sharper or more diffuse illumination.

rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

The BAT

Post by The BAT »

Hi Andrew,
Another beautiful set-up.
I made a somewhat larger one out of 3mm poly sheeting but it seems to be too thick and requires serious lighting on the outside to properly illuminate the subject inside the tunnel?
Can you give me some details on the two flash arms and how you actually fire the two SB-23 flashes?
I really love that ball mount, it just ooozes class. . . . :)
Bruce

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Hi Bruce,

The ballhead is a Burzynski. Built like a rock and can hold a 600mmf4 motionless. For macro it is very, very solid.

The arms are just Bogen flex arms - not the world's best but they work nicely in this case.

Flash control - the SB-23 flash is great compact flash but only runs in full power manual or TTL. However, you can run "pseudo TTL" quite easily. The hot shoe has a couple of connections, the big centre pin is fire - pull it to ground and the flash fires. One other pin is the quench - pull it to ground and the flash stops. So what I do is have a small control circuit that as an input looks at the fire signal from the camera hotshoe. It responds to that and sends out it's own fire to the flash, shortly followed by a quench signal. Today I do that with a microcontroller. Not a very interesting picture as it is just a "little black box with wires". Previously I did it with analogue chips as detailed here:

http://www.tirpor.com/information/electronics_top.htm

rgds, Andrew

Eric F

Post by Eric F »

Andrew, thanks for showing us your "polytunnel" diffuser. A clever setup, which looks to be quite effective.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic