Long distance photomacrography

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Long distance photomacrography

Post by NikonUser »

I seem to have concentrated on short focal length lenses for close-ups which equates with short working distance between lens and subject and difficult lighting with a single flash (I know, buy another flash - but I already have 8!)
So I thought I would try my AF200mm Micro Nikkor on a bellows:
This is an 8mm long greenbottle cropped from a 13.4mm frame (inset); working distance a whopping 22cm, plenty of room for a lens shade and to get even lighting with a single flash.
HF stack of 31 frames @0.2mm.f/8 on lens.
Bottom image: a 800 pixel crop (actual pixels).
Resolution is sufficient for the whole fly and not too bad for the head.
If I wanted just a head image then I would resort to a shorter, and sharper, focal length lens.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Excellent point, NU. If a longer lens gives enough resolution for the task, then it has lots of advantages.

You've mentioned ease of illumination.

Accuracy of scale bars and quality of stacking can be others. Shooting from farther away, the longer lens will see less scale change from front to back of the stack. If you're focusing by changing the subject-to-lens distance, then the entrance pupil of the longer lens will move less, in an angular sense, which reduces one source of halo. And if you do go the extra mile to make the optics telecentric by adding an auxiliary lens near the subject, the longer lens gives more space to do that.

As illustrated by your example, the longer lens will typically have its best resolution at a larger f-number than the shorter lens does. In my Olympus bellows lens series, the 38 mm f/2.8 is slightly best wide open and almost as good at f/4, while the 80 mm f/4 is best at f/5.6, and the 135 mm f/4.5 is best at f/8. That larger best f-number is a lot of what contributes to the lower resolution of the longer lens.

The upside to the larger f-number is that it gives more DOF per slice, which allows a larger focus step and fewer frames in the stack, which makes it quicker to shoot and process.

These are all tradeoffs in the optimization game.

--Rik

Edit: to clarify terminology about aperture size (f-number).

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Pretty neat shot there!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic