Focus stacking in nature photography

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyberspider

Focus stacking in nature photography

Post by Cyberspider »

(This posting was originally a reply in this topic in the Nature Photography image gallery. It has been moved here to Techical Discussions for administrative reasons as explained below.)

Hi Rick,

i'm sorry, but sometimes i'm writing like i do this in german...i mean this situation...the focus is on the front of the head and the eyes are not in the dof...so it will be better to make a stack to get the front and the eyes into dof...i know it is difficult but if i have the time i try to stack my macros...

i have two examples:

#1 Argiope bruennichi, or the wasp spider

First Image was taken with this settings:
Model = Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Exposure Time = 1/3"
F Number = F13
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Focal Length = 150mm
tripod + IR Shutter release

same spider as stack in Helicon Focus
5 pictures with F 3,2 (DFF?) the bg is softer, the isolation better...

#2 Birdspider
without stack
Model = Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Exposure Time = 1/1"
F Number = F2.8
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Focal Length = 150mm

stack in Helicon Focus with 4 pictures F 2,8 + extension tubes

hope it is ok i show this in this thread? if not i could take this into the technical discussion!?
best regards
Markus

SONY a6000, Sigma 150mm 2,8 Makro HSM, Extention Tubes, Raynox DCR-250

visit me on flickr

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Cyberspider wrote:hope it is ok i show this in this thread? if not i could take this into the technical discussion!?
This should be in Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions.

There are two reasons:

1. Here in Nature Photography, the limit is three images per day. You have four here. In the Technical Discussions forum, you can have as many as you want as long as you say something about each one of them separately. Also images that you post in Technical Discussions do not count against the three-per-day limit in the Nature Photography image gallery.

2. In general, it is bad form to post an image in a thread (topic) that someone else has started, especially in the image galleries. Some long-time members have agreements among themselves that it's OK to post in each other's threads. But without such an agreement, posting an image in someone else's thread can be considered rude and distracting.

I will try to split this thread so that your post and this reply from me move over into Technical Discussions. Wish me luck -- sometimes the forum software does strange things!

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

rjlittlefield wrote:Wish me luck -- sometimes the forum software does strange things!
Everything seems to have gone well with the split. Whew! (I was careful to backup the database first.)

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Focus stacking in nature photography

Post by rjlittlefield »

Cyberspider wrote:i know it is difficult but if i have the time i try to stack my macros...
5 pictures with F 3,2 (DFF?)
Your stacks are very good.

What does "DFF" mean?

--Rik

Cyberspider

Re: Focus stacking in nature photography

Post by Cyberspider »

rjlittlefield wrote:
What does "DFF" mean?
DFF = Deep Fucus Fusion

Adobe Photoshop CS4 also could also stack images...i had a 30 days trial but that is no reason for me to spend so much money...
best regards
Markus

SONY a6000, Sigma 150mm 2,8 Makro HSM, Extention Tubes, Raynox DCR-250

visit me on flickr

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks, I will add "Deep Focus Fusion" to my list of terms.

That phrase is not yet common. Google search on "deep focus fusion", with quote marks, finds only 41 pages, some talking about nuclear fusion instead of photography.

When I first encountered the technology, it was called just "extended depth of field". Of course there are other ways to extend depth of field, including for example wavefront coding.

The term "focus stacking" seems to have become the most common English phrase for what is done by Helicon Focus and similar software.

Focus stacking in Photoshop CS4 has gotten a lot of good publicity, but users who are familiar with both packages say that Helicon Focus generally does a better job. Even ignoring the cost, there is no reason for you to switch.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic