Trouble with color profiles

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ecki

Trouble with color profiles

Post by Ecki »

Hello,

I am trying to make fotos with a Nikon D80, Camera ControlPro and Apple Aperture.

When I take foto it looks on the Camera Control pro Display very blue. When I import it in Aperture it gets even more blue. Both programs are set to use Nikon Apple RGB profiles.

Can someone explain to me how to get the same colors in the foto that I see through the eyepiece? Can I disable all color processing?

I use a 50W halogen light with a daylight conversion filter. Without the filter the fotos turn brown: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=6153 .

regards
Ecki

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

Ecki,

I use a Nikon D300 on my scope for my micro mineral shots. I have set a custom white balance for the lighting I use. This seems to work better than any of the white balance options built in to the camera. I use a gray card when setting the custom white balance.

Doug
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This doesn't sound like a profile problem, or at least it doesn't sound like just a profile problem.

Have you checked the "white balance" settings?

It sounds like you may still have them set for "tungsten" or "incandescent", in which case the daylight filter will make colors look very blue.

To get the same colors you see through the eyepiece, the best technique is to set custom white balance using a blank slide. (This is the same technique that Doug suggests, but modified for brightfield instead of reflected.)

If you are shooting "raw", then you can do almost the same thing with a real subject, by indicating some point in the frame that should be neutral gray.

The images at your link look pretty good to me. The color is very close to neutral. If they were shot without the filter, then the camera and/or software must have been set to "tungsten" or something very close to it.

By the way, there is no such thing as "disable all color processing". The camera and/or software inevitably have to go through a lot of work to convert sensor values to colors. The question is only what sensor values produce neutral gray, and that is what custom white balance sets.

--Rik

Ecki

Post by Ecki »

Rik,

thanks for the explanation. You are right, I have more than one problem.

I solved the profile problem. I tried to change my display settings to Nikon Apple RGB. All of a sudden my screen was just different tones of blue. When I restored to Color LCD profile I was back to normal. I made Color LCD default in Aperture and Camera Control Pro and now the colors at least stay the same!

Let me try to find the right color settings for the camera, too. Thanks for the help!

regards
Ecki

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic