Trying to understand the optics of stacked lenses

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

For microscopy, let me also recommend the "Better Microscopy" series by D.J. Jackson. The writing style will not be to everyone's liking, but the information is generally first-rate, very practical, and easily understood. I read the "Combined Edition -- Volumes I & II" cover-to-cover, and plan to do so again when I get back to working with my scope. I see that there is now also Volume III Digital Photo-Microscopy and also Practical Guide to Microscope Buying and Use from the same author and publisher. I have no experience yet with either of those, but I did order copies of them just now based on happiness with the previous volume.

The reference for purchase is http://calendars.lulu.com/content/127240 .

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Somebody asked offline what I meant by "The writing style will not be to everyone's liking".

It really is just a stylistic issue. Quoting from page 45:
Unfortunately, it is far more common to find the "cheap" forms of diffuse illuminators, the little light boxes which may be freestanding but are more typically either built-in or plugged-into the microscope itself. These consist of little more than a boxed lamp and a piece of "ground glass" (which acts as a "diffuser"). For most of these gizmos, the lamps are too small and too weak, and the diffusing surface, unaccompanied by any optics, is located much too close to the microscope.
So... Lots of quote marks, lots of underscored phrases, lots of parenthesized expressions. Also lots of simple typos, italics, some small fonts used for no obvious reason, etc. In brief, not professionally edited. This does not bother me at all, but I understand that some people find it distracting.

By the way, there is extensive discussion of this book in the archives of the Yahoo Microscope group. Visit http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Microscope/ and search on jackson better microscopy.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic