Please consult: the impact of flash light on imaging compared with constant light

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

yiyi

Please consult: the impact of flash light on imaging compared with constant light

Post by yiyi »

After a lot of shooting, I found that the flash seemed to be sharper than the photos taken by the constant light.

Assuming that the shooting platform is stable enough and there is no jitter caused by the constant light due to the long exposure time, will the flash be sharper than the pictures taken by the constant light?

Who can tell me, thank you, this problem has been bothering me.

AlP

Re: Please consult: the impact of flash light on imaging compared with constant light

Post by AlP »

yiyi wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:49 am
After a lot of shooting, I found that the flash seemed to be sharper than the photos taken by the constant light.

Assuming that the shooting platform is stable enough and there is no jitter caused by the constant light due to the long exposure time, will the flash be sharper than the pictures taken by the constant light?

Who can tell me, thank you, this problem has been bothering me.
With flash, depending on power output, full power, 1/16th power or1/128th power dictates the "freezing" action of the flash duration. For example a Canon 580 EX II flash duration at full power is about 1/250th second, 1/16 power is about 1/6,000 of a second and 1/128 power is about 1/20,000 of a second at flash sync of the camera (usually between 1/200 and 1/320 depending on camera). Constant light requires longer exposure (shutter speed) which could introduce variables of movement. Hope this helps.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Please consult: the impact of flash light on imaging compared with constant light

Post by rjlittlefield »

yiyi wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:49 am
In the absence of all vibration, the picture with constant light will be at least as sharp as with flash.

In rare cases constant light can be even sharper, because the flash itself can cause especially fragile subjects to move.

However, it is very difficult to reach this level of vibration control, especially at high magnification such as 20X and above.

So as a matter of practice, flash will usually be sharper if there is any difference at all.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic