Manual focus bracketing of small live subjects

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

Manual focus bracketing of small live subjects

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I would like to initiate a thread here have a place where people might later discover methods for rapid focus bracketing of small live subjects -- especially subjects that are likely to move around so one must be able to move the camera and get off a bunch of shots in a hurry. I have done quite a bit of this, both in the field and in a studio setting. I will focus my description on the studio setting, but if others want to contribute their field experience, then that would be good too.
Since live and moving subjects are involved, I suppose there would be little contribution about using a fixed platform for automated bracketing like StackShot.
I choose to say focus bracketing here, since this is about taking pictures at different focus points.

Ok, here goes. Various methods I've done include ...

1) Using a Helicon Focus Fd ring. I don't suppose these handy items are still for sale since they were manufactured in Ukraine. I have used mine plenty times with my 100mm macro lens, as it uses electronic focus. I don't really consider this "manual" bracketing, but whatever works! Of course there are cameras these days that have built in focus bracketing and that would be a huge advantage, especially with mirrorless cameras that allow for blazing fast frame rates.

2) Very frequently I use fully manual bracketing by either turning the focus ring a little on the 100mm lens - with no Fd tube - or by nudging the camera forward a smidge each time. The super macro lens that I have (Venus/Laowa 2.5-5x) does not have a focus ring, so it seems I must always move the camera with that one.
> Moving the camera between frames likely introduces the most artifacts in a fully manual stack bc of small parallax shifts between foreground and background. It isn't that hard to move the camera in an instant to re-acquire the subject in the frame, and quickly brace the camera. But trying to then move the camera exactly down the axis of the lens for each picture -- that is tricky and I doubt I succeed entirely. I try to minimize parallax shifts by noting where the central reticule is on the subject, and making sure that it’s in the same spot each time. I can frequently get 3 or 4 usable frames in, and sometimes 10-12 if I am in a comfortable position and if the subject lets me.
> Bracing the camera. Lots of methods depending on what composition is wanted and working height above the table. For working several inches above the table, the camera is rested on my fist, a stack of books, or a handy box. Just resting the camera on the table would be done for pictures at ground level. In any case, it helps to have the camera rest on a couple slick magazines, as the smooth paper allows for fine movement with little resistance. My camera has an Arca Swiss type base plate, and I would like to try to use that one day by fastening down a long Arca Swiss mount to the table to see if I can nudge the camera along it between pictures.
> Pressing the shutter can result in a small camera movement. So I like to use a simple remote trigger plugged into the camera. This is gripped in my teeth, and I press the button by gently biting it. The button is covered in tape to keep it dry. This is weird, and I don't think I've ever divulged it to anyone, btw!

3) Lighting. Well, that is always an issue. I usually use a flash, brand new batteries, and a back-up set of batteries. I try to work at low power. An external battery pack for the flash would definitely come in handy since recharging times would become less of an issue. Having a flash plugged into AC would be a dream! I've also used continual lighting sources, but a flash puts out more light, and that lets me shave down the shutter speed and ISO.

4) From a set of manually focus bracketed pictures, then comes the stacking program. Sometimes, as the stacking program aligns each frame I see they are surprisingly steady even though my bracketing methods are pretty crude. But very often the alignment phase looks like the pictures were taken on a trampoline. Amazingly, they might still line up well enough to be usable.

So what are your thoughts and ideas? :)
Last edited by MarkSturtevant on Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Lou Jost

Re: Manual focus bracketing of small live subjects

Post by Lou Jost »

Mark, if the magnification is not too high, I feel very strongly that the best way, by far, to do this is to use a camera and lens with automatic focus bracketing, which is nearly instantaneous until the buffer fills. If someone is starting fresh, these sorts of camera systems would be the ones to buy.

The Olympus or Panasonic MFT systems allow auto focus bracketing of subjects >= 17mm across, and with the release of the new Oly 90mm lens, the magnification will be doubled so that's a FOV of 8mm.

dy5

Post by dy5 »

Mark - Thanks for all the helpful details!

On the animal side and following up on the ice cube idea, a crude (and seasonal) way that's helped keep an insect immobile for photography is simply working in a cool room. For instance, at 60°F praying mantises stand quite still for extended periods.

At work, we had insects stand on or near a Peltier plate in a small enclosure. You can adjust the temperature of the plate so the insects were immobilized, but not over-chilled. The set-up is inexpensive - you just need the Peltier plate (=TEC=thermoelectric cooler; for instance https://www.ebay.com/itm/383070525043?h ... SwM3hdOoYE ), a heatsink (but no fan), and a variable power supply.

Thanks again - Cheers, David

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Lou Jost wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:31 am
Mark, if the magnification is not too high, I feel very strongly that the best way, by far, to do this is to use a camera and lens with automatic focus bracketing, which is nearly instantaneous until the buffer fills. If someone is starting fresh, these sorts of camera systems would be the ones to buy.
Absolutely. Other camera systems also allow this now, including certain Canon mirrorless models. That would be the most likely way for me to go if I wanted to have a very rapid automated system. Presumably I could adapt my Canon EF macro to them. According to my notes the EOS M6ii is a reasonably priced one, and the EOS RP close behind. Others get pretty pricey to me. But meanwhile there is my V/L super macro lens that would not be helped by that. More broadly, lots of people have similar excellent manual lenses.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

dy5 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:06 am
On the animal side and following up on the ice cube idea, a crude (and seasonal) way that's helped keep an insect immobile for photography is simply working in a cool room. For instance, at 60°F praying mantises stand quite still for extended periods.
At work, we had insects stand on or near a Peltier plate in a small enclosure. ...
Agreed. I think slow cooling would most likely give good results since they should just gradually slow down to a stop. Trying to rapidly cool tends to result in abnormal behavior of the subject, and not infrequently it harms to them. I had not thought of a Peltier plate. I used to use one ages ago when doing microsurgery on crayfish in grad school (long story).
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

I lamented the lack of automatic focus bracketing on Sony cameras for a couple of years, then gave up waiting and practiced doing it manually. Glad I did too as it's proven very handy, though mainly in the field for me (handheld or with a monopod). There are a surprising number of usable approaches and techniques once you get into it, each applicable in certain circumstances. The ones I use most are...

Handheld, low to moderate magnification - two main techniques.
1. If the subject can be handled and moved relative to the lens (e.g. a bug on a flower), I simply hold the stem (or object), frame the subject in front of the lens with the nearest feature in focus, then fire the shutter continuously while slowly moving the subject towards the lens (keeping it straight, avoiding twisting and parallax errors etc). I can get 30fps using the A1 which allows for fairly deep stacks, but have used slower rates down to 5fps on other bodies with good enough results. Deeper stacks are less reliably captured if frame rate is slower.

2. If the subject can't be moved (e.g. a bug on a wall), I'll do the same as above, but manually rack the lens focus ring while capturing a burst instead of moving the subject. This works well for close-up and larger subjects, and is the best technique for quick "grab" stacks of likely-skittish insects.

Higher mag
If I intend to do all moderate to high magnification of subjects in "difficult" positions, I'll be using an MP-E65 and mount the camera on a monopod with the lens foot attached via a small Wimberley side gimbal. This allows me to rock the monopod (and attached camera) forward and back through a short distance while keeping it level. The camera can be rotated in the lens ring, tilted on the gimbal and swung left/right by spinning the monopod. It's quite fast to use, except when the monopod height needs a large adjustment first. Focus brackets are shot using the methods above, although I more often rock the monopod slowly forward while shooting bursts this way - I generally don't move the subject.

All of the above assume good strong light for short exposures and high frame rates. If I need to use flash, I will, but the maximum frame rate usually drops to 10fps or lower - so I get fewer successful deep stacks with that.

A short hand-bracketed stack, continuous burst, racking the focus ring.
rose--pmn.jpg

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Can I use your image in a class?

Post by rjlittlefield »

Steve,

I've agreed to give a short course in focus stacking, to a camera club in Seattle. Your rose from viewtopic.php?p=286534#p286534 would be perfect to use an example, attributed to you of course.

Is it OK if I do that, and can I also include the image in any permanent records that get kept? Thanks!

Best,
--Rik

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

At least half of my pictures in the field are now short manual focus stacks. I somewhat lament that since it means more work in post processing and that slows down how fast I can post things.
100mm macro + Raynox 250, resting the lens on a V-yoke on a monopod. I never fix the camera on the monopod, since attaching the camera takes a bit more time. This was probably done by moving back and forth. Lots of pictures to be sure I got it since I've been trying for a while to get this critter (a march fly).
ImageMarch fly by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

The "big gun" also serves. This is a 100-400mm lens, done the same way as above. Black saddlebags dragonfly. Shooting this way lets me get pictures with a wide-ish aperture to then get a blurry background.
ImageBlack saddlebags by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Do you run into people (who don't do macro or close up photography) who believe that focus stacking has to be super-fussy, with large #s of pictures and a rock steady mount? I've seen that a lot but my message is that it can be pretty simple.
Last edited by MarkSturtevant on Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

knakamura

Post by knakamura »

I use video lighting held in one hand and my camera in the other, while shooting with the pro capture feature on my olympus m1.3.

I picked a photo that shows the strengths as well as the problems with the technique - if you pixel peep, you can find the artifacts quite easily. Also, it's always a fight between iso and shutter speed. There are 27 images in the stack folder but I think I only used 22.

It isn't the best, but it's what I'm patient enough for, and everything fits in my bag. Lots of interesting ideas in this thread, I'll have to play with the focus bracketing again. Using a v-yoke also sounds amazing.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:39 pm
<snip>
Do you run into people (who don't do macro or close up photography) who believe that focus stacking has to be super-fussy, with large #s of pictures and a rock steady mount? I've seen that a lot but my message is that it can be pretty simple.
I generally don't "run into people" because as an avid loner, I actively avoid them :D However, I did know one person who believed that. Me! Practicing hand-held focus bracketing, and then stacking the results taught me otherwise. It was very surprising how sloppy frame alignment can be, yet still yield acceptable results.

Beatsy

Re: Can I use your image in a class?

Post by Beatsy »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:40 pm
Steve,

I've agreed to give a short course in focus stacking, to a camera club in Seattle. Your rose from viewtopic.php?p=286534#p286534 would be perfect to use an example, attributed to you of course.

Is it OK if I do that, and can I also include the image in any permanent records that get kept? Thanks!
Yes, no problem. I'm going out now, but will email a larger copy without watermark later. I kept a couple of the source frames too (edited as single, low-DoF shots). I'll include one of those too.

dy5

Post by dy5 »

... when doing microsurgery on crayfish in grad school (long story).
An aside: A small-worlder of sorts ... I've also done microsurgery on crayfish (plus cockroaches, mantises, tiger beetles, and other creatures). Documenting the microsurgeries was one of the primary ways I got interested in macro/micro photography. I wish I had known about these forums back then - the photos would have been a lot better than they were.

Cheers, David

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Can I use your image in a class?

Post by rjlittlefield »

Beatsy wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:05 am
Yes, no problem. I'm going out now, but will email a larger copy without watermark later. I kept a couple of the source frames too (edited as single, low-DoF shots). I'll include one of those too.
Oops -- my public request was supposed to have been a Private Message! Obviously I pushed the wrong button!

But no harm done, and I guess the exchange makes a good example of something or other, maybe more than one.

Thanks for the permission and images sent by email.

--Rik

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

knakamura wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:46 pm
Using a v-yoke also sounds amazing.
Every 'solution' has its own problems. I will be sticking with the V-yoke, but one must take precautions against losing them in the field since they tend to un-screw themselves. My current one is now held in place with a zip-tie so I haven't lost it yet.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

AlP

Post by AlP »

Hi, Mark. For flash power supplies I use Godox PB960's in the field and at home. I haven't had an issue or missed frames with Canon 580 EX II's. As a test with a Yongnuo twin macro light, 70 frames (1/8th power) continuous at 12 fps on the Canon 1Dx (RAW buffer kicked in). I've also thought of biting a cable release as well and nixed this idea. Normally (99.9%) I use a monopod with a silicon dampened video head sans handle for tilt. I just move in on my subject to and fro.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic