Biocut won’t cut

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Gearhead

Biocut won’t cut

Post by Gearhead »

Not long ago I bought an old Biocut 1130 rotary microtome. There is no manufactures name on it but an embossed label says Made in Germany. I was told by seller that it was made by Reichert-Jung. It’s actually in pretty good shape other than a few missing pieces and some shipping damage. I was able to machine a new blade holder and specimen coarse advance knob. I cleaned and lubricated it well and in must respects it works well. The problem is that the automatic advance doesn’t work. When I turn the big wheel on the right side, the specimen holder travels up and down as it should but doesn’t advance with each rotation. I can use the coarse advance knob to bring the specimen up to the knife and I get one section but then nothing, no advancement of the specimen holder. There is of course a knob to set specimen thickness between zero and 35 microns but it has no effect on the advancement. Naturally I’ve taken the cover off and cleaned and lubed everything. This mechanism looks completely different from the common rotary microtome. I’ve seen manuals for the Leica 850 for example, which has a big gear on the right side causing advancement of one micron per tooth but my German Biocut 1130 doesn’t have this, the mechanism is totally different. And of course I can’t find a manual for the 1130. If I knew how mine worked I could probably fix it. Or I could just use it as is and try to turn the coarse advancement knob by a tiny increment after each cut. I used a dial indicator and determined that one complete revolution of the coarse advancement knob advances the specimen holder by 0.009”. This translates to 229 microns per revolution. But I’d really like to get it to advance automatically with each turn of the big cutting wheel.
I know nothing about microtomes so I hope someone can help me figure out what’s wrong with this machine. Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic