From 16MB to 40MB in APS-C

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Big Pete

From 16MB to 40MB in APS-C

Post by Big Pete »

Hi, what are your thoughts on the new Fuji XH-2? It is said to have a 40MB APS-C sensor and that is significantly more than the 16MB I can get in my Sony A7R ii in APS-C mode. A switch to a Sony A7R ivA, with a crop factor of APS-C increases to 26MB, but is far behind the 40MB that Fuji promises that the new camera will be able to perform. Since some of my lenses cannot fill a Full Frame format in my macro/micro photography, it is easiest for me to work only in APS-C. If you have any thoughts on this, feel free to comment on my thread.

Scarodactyl

Re: From 16MB to 40MB in APS-C

Post by Scarodactyl »

Going from 18 to 24 (canon rebel t6 to t7) felt like a significant upgrade. At some point you'll outresolve at least some of your lenses of course.

JKT

Post by JKT »

Regardless of whether you are outresolving your lenses or not, you'll have to deal with the increased file sizes. Is your computer up to it?

Without knowing anything about the Fuji I'll pose a question: what are the tethering options on Fuji cameras?

Big Pete

Post by Big Pete »

JKT, my computer works quite good on my Sony A7R ii in full frame. That is about the same resolution (40MB) as the new upcoming Fuji XH-2. It is all about detail and sharpness I guess at very close range!

JKT

Post by JKT »

Big Pete wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:21 pm
JKT, my computer works quite good on my Sony A7R ii in full frame. That is about the same resolution (40MB) as the new upcoming Fuji XH-2. It is all about detail and sharpness I guess at very close range!
Right - I missed the part about APS-C mode.
In Canon world I've noticed that RF 1.4x works quite well to mitigate the issue of full frame coverage.

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Switching from and 16mpx NEX-5N to a 24mpx A5100 did not feel much of a difference, and missed some things like flash shoe mount. I ended up selling it.
I keep using the NEX5N for collection photography and the Sony A7 for more detailed/artistic work but I still made 90x60cm prints with the NEX5N which looked good next to 21mpx 5D mkII prints

There are other thing to the camera other than resolution, like dynamic range, color depth etc as well as features
At some point I want to get beither a APS-C or M4/3 camera with 4K video and full electronic shutter so I can use it on the microscope with oil objectives. Now vibrations travel through the microscope body to the oil/slide making stacking impossible (have a 50$ nikon 1 J1 for that).

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Big Pete,
Since the M6MII is supposed to be discontinued,
I am considering the XH-2 as its successor (I don't like the R7).
As long as my current M6MII still works, it's all good,
but then the XH-2 would be optimal.
Otherwise, there is no alternative.
BTW, the readout time of the data from the chip is very important for me
Best, ADi

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The best 1.4x teleconverters nowadays hardly degrade an image; as JKT suggests, if most of your optics do cover FF, I think you are best off using FF all the time and adding a 1.4x teleconverter for those times when you need more coverage. That way there is no need to worry about modifying your tethering options, etc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic