has anybody already opened a SZH Olympus body?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Milou

has anybody already opened a SZH Olympus body?

Post by Milou »

Hello,

Perhaps anybody has already opened this binocular body and removed bottom lenses (the 2 lenses just above the objective)?

I would be interested to know about that, as I'd like to try to replace these 2 lens by new ones in my own binocular.....

Up to now I could find the SZH repair manual (on the web) wich is very clear and precise about all these parts of the body, but nothing about these lenses characteristics!

If anybody has information about these ones....
Thank you

Scarodactyl

Re: has anybody already opened a SZH Olympus body?

Post by Scarodactyl »

These would not be meant to be user or field serviced I would think. You'd probably need to remove one, measure the focal length and diameter and hope you could find something similar. Realignment will probably also be involved.

Milou

Post by Milou »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:46 pm
You'd probably need to remove one, measure the focal length and diameter and hope you could find something similar. Realignment will probably also be involved.
Yes you are right, but if ever anybody already has done the job and knows lens focal length and diameter, it would bee very well :lol:
Therefore it could be possible to know exactly about availability and price of such lenses.......

And perhaps anybody else also would be interested to do that in its szh having lens problems :mrgreen:

Realignment seems not to be too difficult, according to the repair manual

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

These also need to be coated, properly mounted, and precisely aligned. The latter job not entirely easy without alignment tools and both lenses removed (so there is no reference).

With patience, one might find an Olympus SZH with damage to the zoom mechanism - leaving the bottom lenses in good shape and relatively affordable?

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Wouldn't even take that much patience, they show up fairly frequently on the used market. Still, there's no harm in trying if it's already roached as is. I attempted this once with a Nikon smz 2t, but could never get the bottom delaminated lenses to actually separate for recementing nor could I find a perfectly matching lens. I didn't try all that hard though, it was more academic since it was broken in other ways too.

Milou

Post by Milou »

Thank PeteM and Scarodactylfor your remarks .

Yes, these lens should be achromatic. For alignment, according to SZH Olympus repair manual, it seems to be possible for non professional.....

Finding another body with good lenses on the used market would help indeed, but also would require a lot a patience, at least in Europe, where such a part, furthermore at a "good price", seems to be very scarce!
Perhaps it could be easier in Japan or in China, but how to follow these used markets without knowing oriental languages....

I hope I'll be more lucky Scarodactyl than You with your Nikon smz 2t :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic