software for adding photos

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

soldevilla

software for adding photos

Post by soldevilla »

I think I've already talked about this sometime ... I'm trying to find software to add images as tiles. Photomerge, Autopano ... they seem to assume that the camera is on the tripod and rotates to take the different photos. But here in the Museum where I work they have two microscopes that can make panoramic views by adding stacks between which the plate moves; and I have remembered having read that some member of the forum also makes images in this way. May I ask what software do you use? The microscopes here have that software included in their system, and it is not possible to access with other photos.

Now I am assembling the tiles by hand, and it is long work and there are always accumulated deformations that invalidate work
Thanks

JKT

Re: software for adding photos

Post by JKT »

An easy try is Microsoft ICE (Image Composite Editor). It is particularly good for the price. :wink:

seta666

Post by seta666 »

If it is panoramas you want to make the software I used to use for that was PTgui
You can define reference points on the pictures to help the software

Maybe there are better options these days

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Another vote here for ICE. So easy to use.

jnh

Post by jnh »

Another free option is Hugin (interface is somewhat similar to PTGui). I believe, it supports the stitching mode where the camera follows a translational movement (there's a name for it, which escapes me right now) instead of being rotated around the no-parallax-point. If not, that can be approximated by manually editing the focal length information in the stitching software and entering a value for an insanely long lens.

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

The solution has been surprisingly simple. One step back .... I disassembled my DSLR and put an IPhone11 in its place. I just had to select "panorama" and drag across the guides and I immediately had a perfect 22Mb image.
Now I want to try pocket compact cameras, so I don't have to use an iPhone that is not mine.

PD: The mini Sony W810 is not ok for panoramas. It make them, but the reduction and compresion of the image destroy the image #-o . And for casual photos "normal" is not a bad camera....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic