Haze?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Haze?

Post by rjlittlefield »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:05 pm
rjlittlefield wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:51 pm
the second result does not show focus gaps.
I am not sure about this, it is hard to tell with the lower resolution image, but I think I might still be able to see the band I highlighted? I am really not sure though.
The flash-between is pretty compelling.

With my browser, a quick-and-dirty way to see that is open the images as two tabs in the browser, and then I can switch between them by just clicking the tab headers.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/download/file.php?id=3754
https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/download/file.php?id=3755

For browsers where that doesn't work, perhaps this animation will help:

flash1-2.gif

--Rik

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

I have seen the same sort of results using WeMacro and WeMacro software on a Canon. It was missing firing the shutter occasionally, sometimes for 3 steps at a time when using live view and quiet mode 2 (EFCS). It didn’t happen if used mechanical shutter with a long exposure and second curtain flash. It’s worth monitoring the whole stack to see if it is missing shutter firings. It may not show up in a shorter stack, or if it’s just the occasional one missed, but if it misses two or three in a row you’ll see the OOF bands.

Dave

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

micro_pix wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:12 pm
I have seen the same sort of results using WeMacro and WeMacro software on a Canon. It was missing firing the shutter occasionally, sometimes for 3 steps at a time when using live view and quiet mode 2 (EFCS). It didn’t happen if used mechanical shutter with a long exposure and second curtain flash. It’s worth monitoring the whole stack to see if it is missing shutter firings. It may not show up in a shorter stack, or if it’s just the occasional one missed, but if it misses two or three in a row you’ll see the OOF bands.

Dave
I think you're definitely on to something.

I've noticed that the Android soiftware has a few quirks, like never actually saying it's done, even after it's given the long beep and returned to the start point. It just perpetually says something "nearing the end", until you reset it for the next stack.

I don't shoot in live view, just with flash and the mechanical shutter set to shutter lockup with quite a long time between exposures, to keep from torturing the strobes too badly.

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

I did raise the issue with WeMacro and was told:-
———
There are several factors that may make the chances of missing a photo higher, especially with Canon cameras.........
1,Please turn off the liveview on the camera screen while shooting.The switching back and forth of operating modes affects.
2,Turn off the display function after shooting.
3,Add few seconds in "interval of shutters" .
———-

As I said I don’t get the issue when using full mechanical shutter with 2nd curtain flash and a 1 sec exposure . The Canon SLR’s I use can’t use live view - quiet mode 2 (EFCS) with flash and you can only use 2nd curtain flash with a Canon flash attached to the hot shoe, so I use a Canon flash on a hot-shoe cable and a second flash triggered by a photo cell. In this mode I don’t use live view. I have recently switched to using Helicon Remote to drive the WeMacro when using my Canon M50 and that has worked well - it fires the camera by USB signal - I haven’t tried it with my 5D yet but that may be a solution if you are missing frames.

Dave

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I mainly shoot with continuous illumination with a Canon 7D and Wemacro (Micromate). I use EFSC and control both camera and Wemacro from the computer. To allow the camera shooting when LV is enabled at the computer (through Canon Utility) I need to activate LV at the camera too.
With this configuration I don't have missing shots if I allow enough time between shots, usually I set 2s if the exposure time is shorter than 1s

This method works perfectly despite William told me that it was not allowed.

To have it working well I recommend to connect all with the camera off, if not you could have some issues like the camera firing when connecting wires.
Pau

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

micro_pix wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:55 am
I did raise the issue with WeMacro and was told:-
———
There are several factors that may make the chances of missing a photo higher, especially with Canon cameras.........
1,Please turn off the liveview on the camera screen while shooting.The switching back and forth of operating modes affects.
2,Turn off the display function after shooting.
3,Add few seconds in "interval of shutters" .
———-

As I said I don’t get the issue when using full mechanical shutter with 2nd curtain flash and a 1 sec exposure . The Canon SLR’s I use can’t use live view - quiet mode 2 (EFCS) with flash and you can only use 2nd curtain flash with a Canon flash attached to the hot shoe, so I use a Canon flash on a hot-shoe cable and a second flash triggered by a photo cell. In this mode I don’t use live view. I have recently switched to using Helicon Remote to drive the WeMacro when using my Canon M50 and that has worked well - it fires the camera by USB signal - I haven’t tried it with my 5D yet but that may be a solution if you are missing frames.

Dave
I use mechanical shutter and three strobes.
The Wemacro is controlled via an Android tablet.
I don't have the tablet on right now, but if I remember correctly, I've got 15 second delay on actuations.
To be clear, was the recommendation to turn off displaying the image after the exposure?

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Deanimator wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:58 am
To be clear, was the recommendation to turn off displaying the image after the exposure?
On the camera screen - Yes, that was one of them. I haven’t tried the Android version. It’s worth monitoring a stack of >50 images to see if this is what’s happening.

Dave

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

micro_pix wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:51 am
Deanimator wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:58 am
On the camera screen - Yes, that was one of them. I haven’t tried the Android version. It’s worth monitoring a stack of >50 images to see if this is what’s happening.

Dave
I'll have to give that a try.

I haven't done any macrophotography in over a year due to the fire and move, never mind 100+ image stacks.

Like I said, the Android version of the control software has a few quirks, and that might be one of them.

I'll try some tests, although between my schedule and getting ready for a brief vacation, it might take a bit.

Thanks.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

A 97 image stack of the tip of a cheap screwdriver that came with the monitor arm.

Configuration was the same with the exception that, per suggestion, I turned off image review on my Canon 80D. No out of focus areas that I can tell.
Web_Cropped_2021-05-10-12.48.16 ZS DMap.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic