Shutter second curtain shock moving water mount subjects when using OIL objectives

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

seta666

Shutter second curtain shock moving water mount subjects when using OIL objectives

Post by seta666 »

Wow!!
Someone commented something similar on a thread, I was not able to finish some (most) stacks of water mounted specimens with OIL objectives, I thought the pressure of the objective on the coverslip was causing this but I just realized is the second curtain shutter shock, it transmits the vibration through the objective to the immersion oil and then to the coverslip and specimen. I do not have this problem with AIR objectives. Seems it is time to look for a camera with full electronic shutter, I am waiting for a second hand Nikon J1 and I will try first with that

My cameras are Sony NEX-5N and A5100; maybe other option is to mount the camera on an arm on the wall or something...

Ichthyophthirius

Re: Shutter second curtain shock moving water mount subjects when using OIL objectives

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi,

You mean the vibrations after the shot is taken distub the subject? Yes, working with oil immersion objectives can be tough.

You can uncouple your camera mechanically by using a copy stand:
http://www.photomacrography1.net/images ... 3small.jpg
https://krebsmicro.com/microsetup2/0045.jpg

Adalbert

Re: Shutter second curtain shock moving water mount subjects when using OIL objectives

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Javier,
Seems it is time to look for a camera with full electronic shutter
Good idea!
I've already switched to M6M2, but it doesn't fire the flashes at the full electronic shutter, so I have to fire them from the controller.
Best, ADi

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:11 am
Hi,
You mean the vibrations after the shot is taken distub the subject? Yes, working with oil immersion objectives can be tough.
Yes, that is what I mean; it is very tough indeed ](*,) . I will have to do something like that but I do not have room for enlarger stand on my desk. Maybe I will make one out of wood and add a focusing rail.
Adalbert wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:11 am
Good idea!
I've already switched to M6M2
Just bought the A5100 so I rather come with a solution like Ichthyophthirius suggested first. But next camera will have full electronic shutter for sure.
My stack controller has Flash output, which the A5100 needs anyway

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, that is one of the main reasons I recommend mirrorless cameras with fully electronic shutters. The other reason, of course, is that heavy stacking will wear out a mechanical shutter.

The same bad effects happen in water immersion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic