Helicon/Lightroom batch processing integration?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JLyle

Helicon/Lightroom batch processing integration?

Post by JLyle »

First let me state I have read the documentation, searched online forums and contacted Helicon support (no response). For several years I have sent my images to be stack, one group at a time. Set the parameters, render and sending the resulting image back to LR as a DNG. Then import a new group of images to LR and repeat. The problem is I am shooting a dramatically increasing number of stacks. I would much prefer now to send images from LR to Helicon and use batch process to separate them into groups, put in the parameters and then let the computer do its work whilst I do other things. Problem is I am beginning to think Batch process in Helicon won't work if you are sending images from LR. When I send a large number of images containing multiple stacks to Helicon from LR they open under the source image dialog, on the right side of the screen as is usual. I then open the batch process dialog and cant for the life of me figure out how to get this to all work. The batch process dialog then needs you to either add a folder or add images to then be able to start the split process and then set the parameters for each stack. I think the problem is I have no idea and can not find the pathway the images take once they land in Helicon from LR. I have no idea what location in Helicon has the images once they are exported from LR via the plugin. Keeping in mind that at the end of this process the whole point is for the rendered images to be autosaved back into LR after the stacks are rendered.

Yes I know I could do all of this outside LR and then put the rendered images into LR to keyword and keep them organized. However that is not my preference for a whole host of reasons. I have a pile of images (several thousand) in LR to be stacked. I am hoping someone here is using Helicon and doing batch processing with images exported from LR to Helicon and can tell me what I am doing wrong. I keep thinking I must be missing something obvious and fundamental but I can't figure it out. It does occur to me that maybe it is possible the functionality I am seeking is not possible.

Lyle

MarkSturtevant

Re: Helicon/Lightroom batch processing integration?

Post by MarkSturtevant »

This is probably superfluous, but here are some descriptions of the issue:
https://forum.heliconsoft.com/viewtopic ... 10&t=10927
https://www.heliconsoft.com/focus/help/ ... _Lightroom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQLAyW1q7po (there are several more of these)
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

JLyle

Post by JLyle »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:04 am
This is probably superfluous, but here are some descriptions of the issue:
https://forum.heliconsoft.com/viewtopic ... 10&t=10927
https://www.heliconsoft.com/focus/help/ ... _Lightroom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQLAyW1q7po (there are several more of these)
Mark,

Yes, I stated I read all the documentation available and I did. Your first link is a post from me on the Helicon forum. As you can see I got no help there. Your second link takes me to something I must have read 30 times already. If you read it you will not it gives zero information about my question. It simply tells you how to send images from LR to Helicon and do the most basic steps to render a simple stack. It goes not further. Your third link goes to youtube videos. Yeah, well I have viewed several hours of youtube videos including the ones specifically from Helicon. All they explain is the most basic task of sending images from LR to Helicon and rendering a simple stack. Not once do they tackle batch processing. And yes before someone links me to the specific Helcion video on batch processing I will state I have watched that and it certainly tells you how to use batch process but it does so in the context of you have your source images outside any DAM program like lightroom, capture 1, etc. Again all useless.

I started using Helicon in its first iteration in 2004 and have upgraded, etc. ever since that time. So that is 17 years. I am more than a little familiar with all the basic functions. Batch processing has only been available for a few years. I never tried nor needed that sort of functionality until recently. I just assumed if it was a feature in Helicon that it would be available when you send images to it from Lightroom via plugin. It appears I was wrong. But I simply don't know. I contacted Helicon support directly 2 weeks before posting in their forum. Helicon did not and will no respond. Helicon was very responsive with any query up until 2019. It appears something changed in 2019 and now support is no longer a priority. Thus far I find no reference to my specific query online. If anyone on this forum has Helicon and would like to try sending images to it from the LR plug in and then running a batch process I would like to hear if you can get it to work.

Lyle

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Your frustration is both palpable and understandable! I'm sure you have considered trying integrating LR with other programs like Zerene Stacker. Was there an issue there as well? Of course there is Photoshop, which does stacking, and LR should play nice with it, surely.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:27 am
I'm sure you have considered trying integrating LR with other programs like Zerene Stacker.
Speaking as the author of Zerene Stacker, I can say with confidence that ZS will not do what Lyle wants. The LR plugin for Zerene Stacker handles only one stack at a time. To batch process multiple stacks would require explicit export from LR to multiple folders, followed by batch stacking of the folders. It sounds like Helicon has the same restriction.

--Rik

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

JLyle wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:52 pm
I have no idea what location in Helicon has the images once they are exported from LR via the plugin. Keeping in mind that at the end of this process the whole point is for the rendered images to be autosaved back into LR after the stacks are rendered.
Lyle
You will probably find them in the Helicon Cache. Look in Edit>Preferences>Performance>Disk Cache folder

The images are normally only kept in the Helicon cache as long as they are needed. After the stack is compete they are deleted. Open the cache folder and watch what happens during the process.

You could probably automate the process by using Macro Scheduler, but you will need some IT knowledge to create the macro: https://www.mjtnet.com/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic