Test, using Teleconverters and/or extension tubes on a microscope (I found what was wrong)

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Re: Test, using Teleconverters and/or extension tubes on a microscope

Post by Lou Jost »

The pictures of your set-up show ytubes that seem far too short, but I think I may still be misunderstanding it. My teleconverters all maintain focus exactly when inserted into the optical chain.

seta666

Re: Test, using Teleconverters and/or extension tubes on a microscope (found the error)

Post by seta666 »

I found what was wrong with this set up, I was not taking into account the differences in flange distance of Nikon vs NEX (46.5 vs 18mm) which is like adding extension.

I made a drawing of what it would be to focus a hypothetical 100mm tube lens, first without teleconverter and then with teleconverter showing what was wrong with my set up and how it should be done.

Good news I can fix it in my vertical set up, bad news is I can not use it on my scope; my phototube is now 11mm long and still 1mm off; TC should be placed inside the trinocular head.
The only native sony FE 1.4x teleconverter is 500€, not worth it without testing it first.

PeteM

Re: Test, using Teleconverters and/or extension tubes on a microscope (I found what was wrong)

Post by PeteM »

I'm coming to this a year late, but do have a possible work-around to put a teleconverter "inside" a Nikon finite trinocular head. Use a Nikon teaching head as a 50-50 trinocular head. You'll have 1.25x magnification and need only a Nikon dovetail mated to Nikon bayonet mount -- and then to the teleconverter. One could also remove the head and fit this directly to the top of the stand for 100% light to the sensor.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic