My MacroScope Project

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LewTwo

My MacroScope Project

Post by LewTwo »

It has taken several months and I am still waiting for a few bits and pieces (specifically LED lights) to arrive via a slow boat from China but I have my Macroscope project 95% completed.
MacroScope 2(1024).JPG
Lest I waste space on the is board, I have created a PDF document that covers all the bits and pieces for both modes of use. That file (5.1 Mbytes) can be access at the following URL:
http://www.keywild.com/Sony%20A6000%20C ... oScope.pdf

ray_parkhurst

Re: My MacroScope Project

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Very nice @LewTwo! This is similar to the systems I used to build. Mine used B&L "A" Stands, and I incorporated Pentax, Viviitar, and Novoflex bellows. The Pentax are the most flexible and wide range, though the Novoflex quality is very nice, and the Vivitar have shortest minimum extension. Still, the Pentax wins overall.

I've never set up one of my systems for direct viewing, so that is a very cool aspect of your implementation.

The one drawback I found to the Pentax bellows was the focus rail clamp is the weak point in the system, and it caused me a lot of trouble with flexibility and slow recovery times to external vibration. In my own system today I have eliminated the clamp and mounted two focus rail X extrusions together lengthwise to give the needed vertical adjustment flexibility. With the X extrusions hard-mounted the system is super-rigid. My other option was to add a second focus rail clamp to improve system stiffness. If you want to try either of these methods, you can pick up a cheap second Pentax bellows, or if you want I have extras of both X extrusions and focus rail clamps leftover from various projects.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:23 pm
The one drawback I found to the Pentax bellows was the focus rail clamp is the weak point in the system, and it caused me a lot of trouble with flexibility and slow recovery times to external vibration. In my own system today I have eliminated the clamp and mounted two focus rail X extrusions together lengthwise to give the needed vertical adjustment flexibility. With the X extrusions hard-mounted the system is super-rigid. My other option was to add a second focus rail clamp to improve system stiffness. If you want to try either of these methods, you can pick up a cheap second Pentax bellows, or if you want I have extras of both X extrusions and focus rail clamps leftover from various projects.
Ray,
I would be very interested in seeing your modifications of the Pentax Auto Bellows (I also use and love it), could you post them? (better in a new thread, I think)
Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Pau wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:15 am
Ray,
I would be very interested in seeing your modifications of the Pentax Auto Bellows (I also use and love it), could you post them? (better in a new thread, I think)
PM Sent

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Ray, thank you!
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic