How to use the Infinity-optics Infinivar?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bklein

How to use the Infinity-optics Infinivar?

Post by bklein »

Hi,
I got this Infinivar over ten years ago and alas it got put aside with me never trying to really use it.
Now, I have a better selection of Nikon cameras and various macro hardware but I still am a newbie.
The Infinivar seems to have a focal image diameter of 14mm, which results in a circular image upon my D700 that takes less than half the width of the frame.
I don't understand the optics that well. Would I be able to attach the Infinivar to something like a Raynox DC150 as a tube lens and get it to fill the sensor area or must I work the the 14mm circle?

Scarodactyl

Re: How to use the Infinity-optics Infinivar?

Post by Scarodactyl »

Infinity Optics, as I understand it, have made a point of not overspeccing. Their lenses are meant for small-format cameras and are optimized for that, or so I gleaned from their materials back when I looked into it. You might be able to resize the image to fill your sensor, but it probably won't be great even if you can get it to work.

Edit:the founder recently made a few posts over at microbehunter, so he doesn't seem to mind engaging with people. It might be worth asking them if there's a recommended method.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic