MJKZZ Rail and Canon Mirrorless Cameras

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LouiseScot

MJKZZ Rail and Canon Mirrorless Cameras

Post by LouiseScot »

Hi All

I've been lurking around for a while and this is pretty much my first proper post - and it's a question! I have a MJKZZ Mini Ultra Rail with usb interface (from MJKZZ.de) which I've set up more as a microscope :). Currently I'm running it with an ageing Canon EOS 550d. It's ok, but I've been thinking it would be nice to incorporate a mirrorless camera instead. However, as things stand, the semi-auto operation of the MJKZZ rail and camera relies on using a wired shutter release connection. As far as I can make out, none of the affordable (i.e. less than £1000) Canon mirrorless cameras are compatible with wired shutter releases. I was wondering if anyone knew whether there was any kind of adapter or electronic workaround on the market? I've looked myself but not been able to find anything. A possible option might be to use a Bluetooth remote (BR-E1) with, say, an EOS M200 and hack a connection between the MJKZZ shutter release cable and the BR-E1 switch. Or maybe there's a different/better brand of mirrorless that supports 'live view' and has a similar Bluetooth remote? (I've been a Canon user for quite a while now...)
Any thoughts /ideas /solutions?

Many thanks

Louise

LouiseScot

Re: MJKZZ Rail and Canon Mirrorless Cameras

Post by LouiseScot »

Anyone? Perhaps I should have posted in the equipment section?
I have been looking at the Fujifilm XT30 as a possible, though it is a bit pricey for me. However, it does support a cable release though.
I dunno. If anyone knows of a better solution please advise.
Thanks
Louise

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Are you sure there is no provision for a wired shutter release? Every digital SLR and mirrorless camera I have ever seen has one. But I don't have the Canon models you mention. Still, it seems incredible that there is no wired release.

JKT

Post by JKT »

Most of the Canon M-series mirrorless bodies did not have either wired shutter release and/or compatibility with the Canon remote control software. IIRC, M6 mark II should have both and it should be under your limit now.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

"Most of the Canon M-series mirrorless bodies did not have either wired shutter release and/or compatibility with the Canon remote control software."

What a bizarre design decision! Louise, sorry I doubted you!

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Louise,

Unfortunately, I only have a homemade rail, but I have the Canon EOS M3 and M6M2.
The M3 can be controlled remotely via IR & USB but not via cable.
The M6M2 can be controlled remotely via cable, bluetooth & USB but not via IR.

Therefore my rail generates two signals for the shutter:
IR for the M3 and wired for the M6M2 at the same time :-)

Best,
ADi

LouiseScot

Post by LouiseScot »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:07 pm
Are you sure there is no provision for a wired shutter release? Every digital SLR and mirrorless camera I have ever seen has one. But I don't have the Canon models you mention. Still, it seems incredible that there is no wired release.
Hi Lou

My Canon dslrs do but none of the budget mirrorless Canons appear to. They've moved over to just wireless/Bluetooth, I think. Anyway, I've ordered a Fujifilm XT30 body only now. It's a pity my MJKZZ rail doesn't do wireless shutter release - I suppose they've stuck to simple and cheap for now. I did email them a while back about it but never received a reply.

Louise

LouiseScot

Post by LouiseScot »

Adalbert wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:13 am
Hello Louise,

Unfortunately, I only have a homemade rail, but I have the Canon EOS M3 and M6M2.
The M3 can be controlled remotely via IR & USB but not via cable.
The M6M2 can be controlled remotely via cable, bluetooth & USB but not via IR.

Therefore my rail generates two signals for the shutter:
IR for the M3 and wired for the M6M2 at the same time :-)

Best,
ADi
Hi Adalbert
I have to admit I didn't look at the older Canon M models. Good for you building your own rail! I'm a bit lazy and impatient, and wanted something that would do most of what I wanted out of the box. MJKZZ have since brought out an 'Xtreme Pro' rail which might have been better in some respects, but the Ultra will do for now. I'm using it with 10x, 20x, and 40x objectives. The 20x has a NA of 0.75 so is very demanding in terms of depth of focus (or lack of it!). I'm hoping the Fuji XT-30 will prove to be a good choice! It should be good for movies through the microscope. I'll probably try the XT30 out as an ordinary camera for a while :)

Louise

lothman

Post by lothman »

LouiseScot wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:58 am
It's a pity my MJKZZ rail doesn't do wireless shutter release - I suppose they've stuck to simple and cheap for now. I did email them a while back about it but never received a reply.

Louise
would their IR controller help?
https://www.mjkzz.com/product-page/stan ... ith-remote

LouiseScot

Post by LouiseScot »

lothman wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:09 pm
LouiseScot wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:58 am
It's a pity my MJKZZ rail doesn't do wireless shutter release - I suppose they've stuck to simple and cheap for now. I did email them a while back about it but never received a reply.

Louise
would their IR controller help?
https://www.mjkzz.com/product-page/stan ... ith-remote
The IR controller still uses the cable release. Besides I really need the usb interface and PC control. It doesn't matter now as I've ordered the Fujifilm X-T30.
On the plus side I finally received a notification from the forum!
Thanks
Louise

David Sykes

Post by David Sykes »

Only just seen your post Louise.

There is certainly a way of doing this.

I have in front of me an EOS M3 camera (also works with my M10) and am currently testing a new,very simplified version of My StereoData Maker (SDM) software.

To achieve the new version, I stripped the old version 'down to the metal' as they say.
The very earliest Changesets (a version of the code together with list of changes) have minimal functionality, but include triggering the camera from a 5V signal.
I can tell you where to obtain an inexpensive suitable switch that provides that signal.

You are in Scotland, I am in Wales, feel free to contact me.

(the regular SDM and a programme called CHDK will also do this but are far more than what you need).

David

LouiseScot

Post by LouiseScot »

David Sykes wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:00 pm
Only just seen your post Louise.

There is certainly a way of doing this.

I have in front of me an EOS M3 camera (also works with my M10) and am currently testing a new,very simplified version of My StereoData Maker (SDM) software.

To achieve the new version, I stripped the old version 'down to the metal' as they say.
The very earliest Changesets (a version of the code together with list of changes) have minimal functionality, but include triggering the camera from a 5V signal.
I can tell you where to obtain an inexpensive suitable switch that provides that signal.

You are in Scotland, I am in Wales, feel free to contact me.

(the regular SDM and a programme called CHDK will also do this but are far more than what you need).

David
Hi David

I'm so sorry - I only just saw your reply! I did actually purchase a Fujifilm X-T30 in the end - bit of an impulse buy really. I still haven't tried it out properly. It does have a cable release but it's wired differently to a Canon though I'm sure I'll be able to do some rewiring. It has liveview but doesn't support tethering which I didn't realise when I bought it. Very annoying, that! However you can output the liveview to an hdmi monitork. It also supports 4k video which might be good though I don't currently have a 4k monitor but apparently you can still get an improved HD from a 4k recording. As soon as I can get the rail cable release configured I'll be able to have a proper go. In the meantime I'll practice with either a Fuji manual cable release else via my smartphone and the Fujifilm Camera Remote App - it connects via wi-fi and lets you see liveview on the phone screen, change some settings, and take pics. Won't work at the same time as the cable release (afaik) but you can't have everything...

Louise

BartMinnebo

Post by BartMinnebo »

Louise: I use a Canon M6 with my mjkzz qool rail, it has the port for cabled release. The M6's are quite cheap secondhand, I have bought them for less then 300€

LouiseScot

Post by LouiseScot »

BartMinnebo wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:43 pm
Louise: I use a Canon M6 with my mjkzz qool rail, it has the port for cabled release. The M6's are quite cheap secondhand, I have bought them for less then 300€
Oh ok. I think the Fuji X-T30 will do the job ok. I found out that the wired shutter release is compatible with the Canon EOS one after all. It just didn't work with the Canon-compatible intervalometer I was testing it with. I've been so busy with other things that I still haven't had the chance to properly run it with the MJKZZ but I will soon - hopefully in the next week :) If there's any major problems I'll bear the M6 in mind :)

Thanks
Louise

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Just thought I’d add - Helicon remote will control some rails (WeMacro, Stackshot....) and fire the camera shutter via the USB cable (PC - Camera). This is very useful for those cameras, like the Canon M50 mkII, that don’t have a cable release connection and rely on a bluetooth remote. I believe that the WeMacro control software can also fire the shutter over the usb cable if used in conjunction with EOS utility.

Dave

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic