My workshop (ideas and projects)

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

paganel

My workshop (ideas and projects)

Post by paganel »

All my life I worked as a designer and a programmer - identity, web, animation, games etc. And all my works was digital. However, I always dreamed of working with my hands and constructing different hardware. Some years ago, one of my friends ask me to construct a slider for videography. This pushed me to combine my two hobbies - photography and engineering. I learned the basics of electronics, CAD software, CNC, 3D printing, design circuit boards etc. My first devices were ugly but it's worked and good worked. By time, my design skills help me with user interfaces and product design. I built my first 3D printer, found excellent CNC masters, and learned how to prepare drawings and build 3D models for CNC milling. And it's really cool. Photo- and videographers began to contact me to order something that cannot be bought (or it costs like a plane). Most of them were amateurs and they were not ready to buy professional equipment. I designed camera sliders for video and time-lapse, motorized tables for 360 photography, and a big variety of small but must-have devices.

It not a business (I still work as a designer and art director), but it has stopped to be a hobby.
Thanks for reading until this paragraph :)

Of course, one of my key devices is macro rails and macro photography hardware. As different models of diffusers, stages, holders etc. Probably we read my old posts with first macro experiments. I open a new topic to collect all my engineering ideas in one place.
I hope you find my projects useful. My English not so good, sorry.

Macro rails
I am developing several models of macro rails for different applications. When I started the project, I set a task to design a solution "all in one" - universal rails with built-in controller, rechargeable battery, screen, and wireless control. Module construction is good for studio but not good for outdoor photography. Firmware has automatic, semiautomatic, and manual modes (now I add a video mode to some models). I deliberately gave up control from a smartphone in favor of a remote control with real buttons. It is not easy to push a button on the smartphone screen while looking through the viewfinder. Tactile feedback of real buttons allows you to operate the remote without looking at it. All functions are done only through the remote control, this allows to remove vibrations from touching the rails.

DSC_0089_rails.jpg

Rails have a built-in (but replaceable) battery 3x18650 and built-in charger. You don't need to take out the batteries to charge them.
I use CNC-rails on the T-shape aluminum profile. This allows to connect additional hardware to rails (holders, diffusers) using T-nuts. The tripod plate can be moved along rails to get a good balance. Rails have tripod mounts for horizontal and vertical positions.

DSC_0079_bat.jpg

Rail carriage has plastic (POM) anti-backlash nut and different types of trapezoidal screw allow get steps from 0.01 to 0.001mm
The firmware allows you to adjust the step length in the range 0.001 (0.01 for some models) to 10mm. The exposure can range from 1/1000 to 10 seconds. The rails have 5 speeds of movement and the ability to adjust the pause before the shutter is released.

You can manually move rails to a fixed-length step and take photo by one button press. Or you can set start and finish points and rails will do stack with defined step length.

DSC_0085_controller.jpg

Some models have video mode for converting macro rails to video slider.
The controller has an audio 3-pin connector to communicate with the camera, control is compatible with most camera models.
All parts made on high precision CNC machines. Every rails assembled by hand, I do not have serial production, and each rail is unique :)

Now I develop new versions of macro devices for 360-degree video (stack and rotate) and a system for “stack and stitch” macro photography. The first 360-degree stacking device is used in a dental clinic for Hi-Res video of implants, etc.

To be continued!
P.S. I understand that the video review will be more informational, but my spoken English not so good for this. Maybe a good idea to make a review with good music and subtitles.

Some photos from the field test:

Field studio

DSC_0200_setup1.jpg
DSC_0189_setup2.jpg
DSC_0182_setup3.jpg

Stacking results

stack1B_f1.jpg
Stack4B_f2.jpg
Stack3B_f3.jpg

paganel

Re: My workshop (ideas and projects)

Post by paganel »

Macro rails with video-mode.

Some of my clients work in advertising photography and it is important for them to have a universal device - for stacking and for close-up video (food photography, jewelry photography). For them, I developed a hybrid of a slider and a macro rail with a long travel distance. I use linear actuators or C-beam profile rails. Travel distance is 170-240mm and more. Also, I added video mode to the firmware.
These rails can be used for heavy equipment and studio work. The minimal step size is 0.01mm, other functions are the same as at macro rails from the first post.

DSC_0116.jpg
DSC_0099.jpg

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

This is seriously awesome. I am blown away.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Phil973

Post by Phil973 »

Very well done, congratulations!!!
Have you any website where you list your creations?
I'm a intensive user of the Cognisys/Stackshot but as i always try to improve my workflow....who knows
Thanks

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I am also intrigued to see the use of a cell phone battery pack to run some USB LED lights. I had thought of that, but was hesitant since I was not sure if this would damage anything. This shows I know nothing about electronics.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

paganel

Post by paganel »

Thanks for your feedback!
So far, I decided not to make a separate site for the project, but to create an FB page and YouTube channel.
I am currently working on a new firmware with an improved interface. I'm open for custom macrophoto solutions and ideas (rails, stages etc)

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Paganel,

Very nice :smt038

BTW, my devices are still ugly :-)

Best,
ADi

paganel

Post by paganel »

Adalbert wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:33 am
BTW, my devices are still ugly :-)
I can help you to modify and improve the design :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic