Short video of my automated setup

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

kaleun96

Short video of my automated setup

Post by kaleun96 »

I put together a short video to demonstrate my automated setup for some interested people from my other hobby (ancient coins) and thought it might be worth sharing here too.
https://streamable.com/tfdzvu

I kept the details on the functionality a bit brief as the video was more aimed at those less experienced in photography but let me know if you have any questions.

I've also posted some info about this setup before here.
- Cam

lonepal

Re: Short video of my automated setup

Post by lonepal »

Nice setup!

But I think you need more diffusion and more flashes to eliminate shadows.
Regards.
Omer

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Impressive setup!
Further improvements I would make:
- Add a safety stop, accidents happen, a rod is all you need
- Lower the centre of gravity on the camera-rail attachment part
- Make a diffusion bowl out of "sandpapered" tupperware/jello containers.

kaleun96

Post by kaleun96 »

This was just a demonstration video for some others so I decided to leave the diffusion out of the way :wink:
Though I don't often use much diffusion when shooting coins. Ancient coins in particular typically have high relief and can benefit from having a hint of shadows around certain parts, if you use heavy diffusion the coin looks very flat and can distract from how it really looks "in the hand". I usually just have a bit of diffusion gel to knock down some highlights without spreading the light out too much.

For insects I have a bunch of diffusion options but I don't think there's anything worth sharing that hasn't been seen a million times before on here!
- Add a safety stop, accidents happen, a rod is all you need
- Lower the centre of gravity on the camera-rail attachment part
The lack of a good safety bothers me a bit too - I don't trust the Newport rack and pinon a huge amount since it is nylon or some other plastic. It's perhaps difficult to see in the video but I have a SmallRig clamp on the post below the rack and pinon. If the mechanism should fail, it can't gather any momentum before being stopped by the clamp. I'd prefer a rod as you suggest, just don't have one on hand yet.

Any tips of reducing the centre of gravity? The only thing I can think of is raising the post higher off the breadboard with a solid block of something and then lowering the rack and pinion to set lower on the post.
- Cam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic