Lens in series to increase magnification

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I just made a quick search for these lenses and found at approximately 1000 USD each. Does it sound correct?
Yes, that's about right. You can often get the Mamiya a bit cheaper. There is more image quality variation between copies of medium format lenses than we are used to seeing in normal lenses, though, so test it when it arrives.

I have both of these lenses so can check this combo for you before you order, just to make sure it will work for you. The Mamiya is my standard tube lens now and the Sigma has done amazinglywell reversed in combos, but it would be good to try them both together before you order.
Lou, do you happen to know how close to telecentric (on the front side) this combo would be?

I don't, Rik, but I can check. I should be able to make it telecentric with proper placement of the aperture though.

There is another solution, using a 45mm Oly MFT reversed on the Mamiya. I've used that combo often for my underwater orchid pictures. That might be nearly telecentric without an added aperture, because MFT lenses are nearly telecentric on the image side (which becomes the subject side when reversed).

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lou Jost wrote:There is another solution, using a 45mm Oly MFT reversed on the Mamiya. I've used that combo often for my underwater orchid pictures. That might be nearly telecentric without an added aperture, because MFT lenses are nearly telecentric on the image side (which becomes the subject side when reversed).
I'm thinking that's the one that would benefit from adding a glass plate to mimic the MFT filter pack. Is that correct? Is there any similar concern for the Art?

--Rik

Laerk

Post by Laerk »

Lou Jost wrote:
I just made a quick search for these lenses and found at approximately 1000 USD each. Does it sound correct?
Yes, that's about right. You can often get the Mamiya a bit cheaper. There is more image quality variation between copies of medium format lenses than we are used to seeing in normal lenses, though, so test it when it arrives.

I have both of these lenses so can check this combo for you before you order, just to make sure it will work for you. The Mamiya is my standard tube lens now and the Sigma has done amazinglywell reversed in combos, but it would be good to try them both together before you order.
Lou, if you have a possibility to test this, that would be a great help. Nice to have something as a reference. Thanks for proposing that.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I still have to close the Sigma down one or two stops, and at that NA there is no problem.

Even with the MFT lens, I usually close it down to the point where that is not a problem.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic