40X NA 0.80 at WD 0.62 mm, shooting the BMSB cuticle

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

40X NA 0.80 at WD 0.62 mm, shooting the BMSB cuticle

Post by rjlittlefield »

At https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=40860, I wrote
Nikon 40X NA 0.80 M Plan apochromat
It required some surgery, which I will describe separately
Here is the surgery that I promised to describe:

I was not able to unscrew the BD illumination collar, so I simply cut it off with a diamond blade in a rotary tool. Macrero showed a similar approach , but I opted to cut off the minimum needed to get a clear light path, while leaving the objective protected by spring loading.

Here is the objective in its pre-surgical state.

The objective gives nominal 0.7 mm working distance. I measure 0.62 mm, using a couple of pieces of aluminum foil and an ohmmeter to detect physical contact.

Here is what the small WD looks like in use, just with the diffuser pulled back.

Setup with this small WD is greatly simplified because many years ago I had bought a 40X NA 0.5 ELWD objective that has the same mount and is parfocal with the NA 0.80. The ELWD gives 9.8 mm WD, so it's simple enough to focus and frame using that, set a hard stop, then back off, switch objectives, advance to the same stop and tweak framing. Without the matching ELWD to set focus and framing at 9.8 mm, working with the 0.62 mm WD would be a lot more challenging.

Just for completeness, here's the overall setup that I used to shoot the cuticle. The hardwired 580EX II provides second curtain sync to use with a long shutter-open time when extra low vibration is needed, with the YN460-II's optically slaved. For the stack shown above, the extra stability was not needed, so I used a 1/200 second shutter time which allowed to leave on the continuous illumination that I had used for setup. According to the setup photo, power setting was 1/16 on the 580EX II, and 1/32 on each of the YN460's.

I hope this is helpful.

--Rik

David Sykes

Post by David Sykes »

How did you setup the objective and rotary tool to get such a clean cut ?

[rummaging through a rarely opened draw last night I found a wooden box containing Zeiss Epiplan HD 40x 0.85 (three off !) and 8x 0.2 together with Epiplan pol 4x 0.1,16x 0.35 and 40x 0.85. Must try these]

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Rik,
Why not :-)
In my case it was a NeoSplan 80x / 0.75:
https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... highlight=
BR, ADi

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

David Sykes wrote:How did you setup the objective and rotary tool to get such a clean cut ?
I made a small jig from pieces of wood. It comprised a trough for the objective to lie in while being turned on its axis, stops to keep the objective from moving along its axis, and another stop to rest the end of the spindle of the rotary tool against. This gave me enough control to reliably manipulate the objective with one hand while manipulating the rotary tool with the other.

I have a lathe that is suitable for this sort of work, but I decided the chance of disaster was lower with the wood jig and intimate control by hand.
Adalbert wrote:Hello Rik,
Why not :-)
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. Why not what?

--Rik

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

To saw, but it is not really a question but something like if you have to saw, then you saw it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic