Field focus stacking

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Andreas Kay

Field focus stacking

Post by Andreas Kay »

Field focus stacking

Panasonic G9 with Raynox 150
C1 Post Focus 6K
A f8, ISO 400
LED Zebralight SC600Fd Mk IV Plus 18650 XHP50 Floody 5000K High CRI Flashlight
Examples www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=75374522%40N06&q=focus

Also for Video without Raynox 150: example https://youtu.be/1z1bfyV4cF0

Images: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kGDzQ ... TO4UjAB1Hm_

Ecuador Megadiverso: www.flickr.com/photos/andreaskay/albums and www.youtube.com/AndreasKay

Macro Photo- and Videography techniques: www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopi ... 542#253542
Spherical Treadmill for slow motion video: www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopi ... 545#253545
Flash Diffuser: www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopi ... 546#253546
Video turning around center: www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopi ... 548#253548
Image Stabilization for Field Stacking and Macro-Videography: www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopi ... 922#253922

Last edited by Andreas Kay on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

davholla

Post by davholla »

I think you are the only person who uses a flashlight rather than flash - however it works very well.
Can I ask why you decided to do this? Also does it have to be a very powerful one?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

In case Andreas has not had time or energy to answer your question (he is struggling with very serious life-threatening health issues), I will try to suggest an answer. This set-up is mainly for field focus stacking to photograph live insects. You often have at most one or two seconds to generate the stack before the insect moves (which is why he is using Post Focus instead of standard focus stacking). There is no time for flash recharging between shots, so continuous light is required. The image stabilizing in the G9 is very good so this works well, as you can see from his amazing work.

davholla

Post by davholla »

Lou Jost wrote:In case Andreas has not had time or energy to answer your question (he is struggling with very serious life-threatening health issues), I will try to suggest an answer. This set-up is mainly for field focus stacking to photograph live insects. You often have at most one or two seconds to generate the stack before the insect moves (which is why he is using Post Focus instead of standard focus stacking). There is no time for flash recharging between shots, so continuous light is required. The image stabilizing in the G9 is very good so this works well, as you can see from his amazing work.
Thank you - his work is amazing.
I was very sorry to hear about his health problem

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

There is also a thread on Post Focus and the G9 here: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... sc&start=0

I will look at your images with interest as you are photographing insects. Most users in that thread are botanical.

davholla

Post by davholla »

TheDocAUS wrote:There is also a thread on Post Focus and the G9 here: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... sc&start=0

I will look at your images with interest as you are photographing insects. Most users in that thread are botanical.
Thanks for that, I am not interested in using the G9 per se*, but I am interested in using a torch to use as lighting with my Canon RP and 60mm lens

* I am sure that the G9 is wonderful, I just found tricky to use coming from Canon.
If I had a close (geographical) friend who used it, it would be different. Sadly no one I see day to day or even week to week is interested in macro photography.

I was very upset to hear of Andreas Kay's death. A great photographer, does his family still need donations?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I am not sure if they still need donations. I will ask his sister for guidance about this, and will get back to you about this.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic