Nikon Diaphot TMD condenser compatibility (part 5)

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mtuell

Nikon Diaphot TMD condenser compatibility (part 5)

Post by mtuell »

OK, once again, not a lot to report on the Nikon 40x Ph3 DL 160/0-2 -no unusual behavior with the Phase Contrast 1.25 condenser on a Diaphot TMD. As in previous parts, I first show the Bertrand lens view of the illumination, then the full APS-C 6000 x 4000 image 1/6th sized, then a 100% crop.

Brightfield

Ph3

Darkfield

Mike

ldflan

Post by ldflan »

Reviving this old thread to point out something that might be of interest to TMD users.

For the Diaphot 200/300 series, Nikon produced a high NA condenser mounting assembly with two slots (one on either side) for the pie-shaped phase annuli and DIC prisms. Part number for the mount is MEL30900. There are two on eBay now for under $200 US (seller had no association to me).

There is a high NA oil condenser to fit, a low NA LWD condenser, and a .85 NA LWD dry condenser (highly recommended - MEL31200) that go on the 200/300 condenser mount assembly, and some rare ones as well.

It is easy to modify the 200/300 series high NA condenser mount to fit the original Diaphot. You need to remove a sheet metal baffle (1 screw) and grind off a small locating pin that is in the wrong place. That's it.

The DIC prisms for the 200/300 series (all of them) work admirably well with the standard Diaphot sub-turret analyzer/prism set. I haven't used the phase annuli, but there is no reason they should not work fine.

Your typical LWD objectives won't benefit from the upgrade, but there are lots of wonderful high NA non-LWD objectives that suddenly become useful on the Diaphot. Of course, you either have to use well slides with an 0.17" bottom, or flip your slides over.

The parts show up on eBay, sometimes at reasonable prices. I am very glad I went to the trouble and expense of doing this.

Leonard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic